Edited by George R.R. Martin.
In 1946, an alien virus that rewrites human DNA was accidentally unleashed in the skies over New York City. It killed ninety percent of those it infected. Nine percent survived to mutate into tragically deformed creatures. And one percent gained superpowers. The Wild Cards shared-universe series, created and edited since 1987 by New York Times #1 bestseller George R. R. Martin ("The American Tolkien" – Time magazine) along with Melinda Snodgrass, is the tale of the history of the world since then – and of the heroes among the one percent.
Now a new generation of heroes has taken its place on the world stage, its members crucial players in international events. At the United Nations, veteran ace John Fortune has assembled a team of young aces known as the Committee, to assist at trouble spots around the world – including a genocidal war in the Niger Delta, an invasion of zombies in hurricane ravaged New Orleans, and a freak nuclear explosion in a small Texas town.
- Double Helix: To the Hungry Soul, Every Bitter Thing is Sweet by Melinda M. Snodgrass
- Coulda by Caroline Spector
- Double Helix: The Sword Shall Never Depart from thy House by Melinda M. Snodgrass
- Just Cause: Part I by Carrie Vaughn
- Double Helix: An Abomination of Desolation by Melinda M. Snodgrass
- Political Science 101 by Walton Simons and Ian Tregillis
- Double Helix: Better to Dwell in the Wilderness than with a Contentious Woman by Melinda M. Snodgrass
- Just Cause: Part II by Carrie Vaughn
- Double Helix: His Enemies Shall Lick the Dust by Melinda M. Snodgrass
- The Tears of Nepthys: The First Tear: Isis by Kevin Andrew Murphy
- Volunteers of America by Victor Milán
- Double Helix: For Nation Shal Rise Against Nation by Melinda M. Snodgrass
- Dirge in a Major Key: Part I by Stephen Leigh (as by S. L. Farrell)
- Double Helix: The Words of a Talebearer are as Wounds by Melinda M. Snodgrass
- Political Science 201 by Walton Simons and Ian Tregillis
- Mortality's Strong Hand by John J. Miller (as by John Jos. Miller)
- Double Helix: Make no Treaty with Them and Show Them no Mercy by Melinda M. Snodgrass
- The Tears of Nepthys: The Second Tear: Aliyah by Kevin Andrew Murphy
- Double Helix: Ye Brutish Among the People, When Will Ye be Wise by Melinda M. Snodgrass
- Political Science 301 by Walton Simons and Ian Tregillis
- The Tears of Nepthys: The Third Tear: Nick by Kevin Andrew Murphy
- Political Science 401 by Walton Simons and Ian Tregillis
- Double Helix: I Will Redeem Them from Death by Melinda M. Snodgrass
- Won't Get Fooled Againby Victor Milán
- Double Helix: Until the Shadows Flee Away by Melinda M. Snodgrass
- Dirge in a Major Key: Part II by Stephen Leigh (as by S. L. Farrell)
- Just Cause: Part III by Carrie Vaughn
- Double Helix: Go Up into Gilead, and Take Balm by Melinda M. Snodgrass
- Woulda by Caroline Spector
- Dirge in a Major Key: Part III by Stephen Leigh (as by S. L. Farrell)
- Double Helix: I Will Tread Them in Mine Anger, and Trample Them in My Fury by Melinda M. Snodgrass
- A Hard Rain Is A-Going to Fall by Victor Milán
- Double Helix: They Have Sown the Wind, and they Shall Reao the Whirlwind by Melinda M. Snodgrass
- Shoulda by Caroline Spector
- Just Cause: Part IV by Carrie Vaughn
- Double Helix: My Heart Waketh by Melinda M. Snodgrass
- The Writers and Creators of the Wild Card Consortium (essay)
George Raymond Richard Martin (born 1948 in Bayonne, New Jersey), is an American author and screenwriter of science fiction, horror, and fantasy. He majored from Norhwestern University in 1970.
Martin sold his first science fiction story in 1971 and has been writing professionally since then. He spent ten years in Hollywood as a writer-producer, working on various television series and feature films. In the mid ‘90s he returned to prose, his first love, and began work on his epic fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire. He has been in the Seven Kingdoms ever since. Whenever he’s allowed to leave, he returns to Santa Fe, New Mexico, where he lives with lovely Parris, and two cats named Augustus and Caligula, who think they run the place.
Into a world hungry for peace, comes a spaceship ferrying chaos...
An alien bomb is detonated above the planet, shedding an indiscriminate gene virus on an Earth barely recovered from the horrors of World War ll. The result: Wild Cards. ACES blessed with superhuman powers and JOKERS cursed with bizarre physical and mental disfigurements.
This is their story.
Wild Cards consists of twenty-nine books, and the series is set to expand with the upcoming release of one more book. The current recommended reading order for the series is provided below.