Shadows Over Innsmouth
World Fantasy Award nominee 1995.
Edited by Stephen Jones.
SEVENTEEN CHILLING STORIES, INCLUDING THE ORIGINAL MASTERPIECE OF HORROR:
“THE SHADOW OVER INNSMOUTH” by H. P. Lovecraft
Inspired by H. P. Lovecraft’s classic, today’s masters of horror take up their pens and turn once more to that decayed, forsaken New England fishing village with its sparkling treasure, loathsome denizens, and unspeakable evil.
“ONLY THE END OF THE WORLD AGAIN” by Neil Gaiman: The community of Innsmouth performs a blood sacrifice – with shocking, terrifying results.
“THE CHURCH IN HIGH STREET” by Ramsey Campbell: In the crypt of a derelict church, a sensible young man meets a bestial, unthinkable fate.
“INNSMOUTH GOLD” by David Sutton: An adventurer searches for buried treasure – and discovers a slithering hell on earth.
“THE BIG FISH” by Jack Yeovil: A few months after Pearl Harbor, a mobster and his floating casino lie under water, teeming with the stuff of nightmares.
AND THIRTEEN MORE TERRIFYING TALES!
- The Shadow Over Innsmouth by H. P. Lovecraft
- Beyond the Reef by Basil Copper
- The Big Fish by Kim Newman (as by Jack Yeovil)
- Return to Innsmouth by Guy N. Smith
- The Crossing • shortstory by Adrian Cole
- Down to the Boots by D. F. Lewis
- The Church in High Street by Ramsey Campbell
- Innsmouth Gold by David Sutton
- Daoine Domhain by Peter Tremayne
- A Quarter to Three by Kim Newman
- The Tomb of Priscus by Brian Mooney
- The Innsmouth Heritage by Brian Stableford
- The Homecoming by Nicholas Royle
- Deepnet by David Langford
- To See the Sea by Michael Marshall Smith
- Dagon's Bell by Brian Lumley
- Only the End of the World Again by Neil Gaiman
- Afterwords: Contributors' Notes
Stephen Jones (born 1953) is an acclaimed editor of numerous award-winning horror anthologies, and the author of several book-length studies of horror and fantasy films as well as an account of Lovecraft's early British publications. Jones has edited anthologies such as the Best New Horror series, Dark Terrors, The Mammoth Book of Vampires, The Mammoth Book of Zombies, The Mammoth Book of Dracula, The Mammoth Book of Frankenstein, The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women, The Vampire Stories of R. Chetwynd-Hayes and The Conan Chronicles, 1 and The Conan Chronicles, 2 by Robert E. Howard. Jones has also been co-editor of several books with Kim Newman, such as Horror: 100 Best Books and Horror: Another 100 Best Books with 200 essays on seminal horror books by acclaimed writers of this genre. Jones also edited Dancing with the Dark, a collection of stories of allegedly real life encounters with the paranormal by established horror writers. Jones has been the recipient of a Hugo award and many Bram Stoker Awards.
Shadows Over Innsmouth consists of three books. The current recommended reading order for the series is provided below.