Latest topics

Latest Posts

Review: When I Think of My Missing Head by Adolfo Couve

Seregil of Rhiminee
Administrator
Level: 102
Seregil of Rhiminee created the topic: Review: When I Think of My Missing Head by Adolfo Couve
5 months 1 week ago #1

Adolfo Couve's When I Think of My Missing Head was published by Snuggly Books in September 2018.

About Adolfo Couve:

Adolfo Couve (Valparaíso, Chile, 1940 - Cartagena, Chile, 1998) trained to be a painter at the School of Fine Arts at the University of Chile, following this with studies at the Art Students League in New York and the École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris. He taught aesthetics and art history at the University of Chile for over thirty years. Already a successful painter, he embarked on a literary career characterized by long periods of silence and the search for perfection. Beginning in 1965, the publication of his first book, he went back and forth from painting to literature. His work includes the novels Alamiro (1965), En los desórdenes de junio (1968), El picadero (1974), La lección de pintura (1979), El pasaje / La copia de yeso (1989), Balneario (1993), La comedia del arte (1995) and Cuarteto de la infancia (1996).

About When I Think of My Missing Head:

Camondo, a painter, wakes up one morning in his studio with his head missing, it having been yanked from his body the night before by Marieta, a model. This is a punishment from the gods, who have already taken away his artistic talent. Now, mysteriously resurrected but not quite intact, Camondo wanders about a seaside town wearing a Franciscan habit stolen from church in an attempt to disguise himself.

Published posthumously, When I Think of My Missing Head, by the Chilean painter and novelist Adolfo Couve, here translated for the first time into English by Jessica Sequeira, is a phantasmagorical literary experiment, an existential puzzle with pieces that fit together by secret logic. With tones that are gothic and surrealist, symbolist and magical, this is a highly original work of terror and fantasia.

REVIEW: WHEN I THINK OF MY MISSING HEAD BY ADOLFO COUVE

Read more...

Online 38 visitors
Newest member: Fatima Bersekova
Total members: 5801