Latest topics

Latest Posts

Review: Slap-on-the-Wrist Stories by Rhys Hughes

Seregil of Rhiminee
Administrator
Level: 102
Seregil of Rhiminee created the topic: Review: Slap-on-the-Wrist Stories by Rhys Hughes
3 months 2 days ago #1

Rhys Hughes' Slap-on-the-Wrist Stories was published by Gloomy Seahorse Press in August 2019.

About Rhys Hughes:

In his own words:

"I am a writer of Fantastika and Speculative Fiction.

My earliest surviving short story dates from 1989, and since that time I have embarked on an ambitious project of writing a story cycle consisting of exactly 1000 linked tales. Recently I decided to give this cycle an overall name -- PANDORA'S BLUFF.

My favourite fiction writers are Italo Calvino, Stanislaw Lem, Boris Vian, Flann O'Brien, Milorad Pavic, Milan Kundera, Alvaro Mutis and Jorge Luis Borges, all of whom have a very well-developed sense of irony and a powerful imagination. I particularly enjoy literature that combines humour with seriousness, and that fuses the emotional with the intellectual, the profound with the lighthearted, the unfettered with the precise.

My first book was published in 1995 and sold slowly but it seemed to strike a chord with some people. My subsequent books sold more strongly as my reputation gradually increased. I have been told that I am a "cult author" and I'm pleased with the description, but obviously I also want to reach out to a wider audience!"

Click here to visit his official website.

About Slap-on-the-Wrist Stories:

Numbers control the galaxies and atoms of the universe but they don't always control us. Freedom lovers seek to break out of the mathematical prisons. There are a certain number of us. Perhaps you are one of them. We go on journeys and have adventures. But our adventures generate new numbers and we only learn this truth later. The stories in this book are guided by numerological constraints but paradoxically they find a greater freedom as a result. And so do we.

REVIEW: SLAP-ON-THE-WRIST STORIES BY RHYS HUGHES

Read more...

Online 42 visitors
Newest member: Rebecca Whitcombe
Total members: 5913