Review: Arms Against a Sea (and Other Troubles) by Rhys Hughes

06 Feb 2021 15:12 #1 :: Seregil of Rhiminee
Review: Arms Against a Sea (and Other Troubles) by Rhys Hughes

Rhys Hughes' Arms Against a Sea (and Other Troubles) was published in October 2019.

About Rhys Hughes:

In his own words (from his official website):

"I am a writer of Fantasy and Magic Realism who often uses comedy and absurdism to examine philosophical issues. I am known for my original ideas, intricate plots and entertaining wordplay! I write short stories, novellas and novels. To a lesser extent I write poetry and non-fiction. I sometimes say that writing is the only thing I'm good at. I try to make that sound like a joke, but I don't think it is... I really am mediocre at most things, but my passion for writing keeps growing stronger!

I have been a writer from an early age. I completed my first proper short story when I was 14. It was called 'The Journey of Mountain Hawk' and I still remember what it was about, even though it no longer exists. None of my early work exists. My earliest surviving short story dates from 1989, and since that time I have embarked on an ambitious project of writing a story cycle consisting of exactly 1000 linked tales. Recently I decided to give this cycle an overall name - PANDORA'S BLUFF.

In the weeks that follow I will discuss this story cycle in greater detail. I will also talk about three key elements that are essential to an understanding of what I am attempting to do in the world of literature. These key elements are:

TAKING ABSURDISM SERIOUSLY
THE MOLECULAR THEORY OF FICTION
THE ROMANTI-CYNICAL MANIFESTO

Thank you for listening!"

Click here to visit his official website.

About Arms Against a Sea (and Other Troubles):

A collection of twenty dreamlike fables that range the distant tropical shores of the overheated imagination. Stories about falling stars, mythological giants, reincarnated cats, lost cities, jungles, sieges, ghosts, mountains. detached faces that set off on sea voyages, cavemen that are living retail outlets, the misunderstandings and misadventures of absurdist life.

REVIEW: ARMS AGAINST A SEA (AND OTHER TROUBLES) BY RHYS HUGHES

Read more...