The Hobbit movies

10 Mar 2013 11:54 #21 :: Fantasyfan
The Hobbit movies
It was pretty and well detailed movie, but it was long and I didn't agree with all details of movie like
Warning: Spoiler!
. Radagast was also something I didn't like too much.

Half way of the movie I had to check my clock to see if it would finally end, but I was bitterly disappointed. I will probably still see other movies too, but not necessarily in the movie theatre.

• Jenel
    Level 22
26 Mar 2013 21:43 #22 :: Jenel
The Hobbit movies
I was little bit disappointed to movie. It was really slow. I did finnish my hobbit book after movie, but I was able to read book that point, where movie ended. I little bit knew, where movie would end, when I heard, that Jackson is going to make 3 movies from 1 book.

But like Fantasyfan. I did also check my clock few times middle of movie, when this movie would end. It was really nicely done, but slow... Really slow.

• Sini
    Administrator
    Level 40

27 Mar 2013 10:28 #23 :: Sini
The Hobbit movies
I finally watched the movie. I wasn't impressed. Too much running and fighting scenes that all looked alike. And somethings were just too silly, like Radagast.

I don't know if this was at some point meant to be a kid flick - like the Radagast scenes felt like - and then at some point there was this "we have to have a lot of battles!" attitude. Mixed feelings...

I will probably watch the rest, but this doesn't make me wait them the way I was waiting for the Lord of the rings movies.

12 May 2013 20:03 #24 :: Rasimus
The Hobbit movies
Movie wasn't that bad. But it didn't catch the atmosphere of original book, as I feared previously. It was... too much LOTR sequel instead that dreamy children's / youngster's adventure book that I read when I was teenager (or younger).

Peter Jackson's (and producers', who probably wanted to repeat success of LOTR) problem is that they tried to do both The Hobbit -children fairy tale, and LOTR -adult themed epic. Resulting a strange mix that didn't work in either category.

Ugly and serious looking monsters were fine with LOTR, but - like I said before - this movie should have had something from Frank Oz's workshop. You know: old fashioned puppets, sympathetic looking creatures etc. No scarred albino CGI-orcs. I might be an old fart who has grown with 80's classics (Neverending Story, Labyrinth, Princess Bride, Dark Crystal etc.), but at least they had real sense-of-wonder and fantasy feeling in them...

Also, even thought I understand book-fan's desire to have everything included, as movie-fan I admire more condensing of story. By experience from 30 years worth of movies (God... Am I that old already?) I know perfectly well that book with size of The Hobbit can be told in one hour and 45 minutes without losing anything from the story itself. Three over two hour episodes felt ridiculous, even thought I knew that most of it will be non-Hobbit material. Eventually, the first episode of the Hobbit felt overly long...

But I'm going to see two other parts as well. Probably I even buy the dvd's (or bluerays) as well...

• Darkki's Avatar Topic Author
  • Darkki
    Administrator
    Level 68

12 Jun 2013 12:59 #25 :: Darkki
The Hobbit movies

• Darkki's Avatar Topic Author
  • Darkki
    Administrator
    Level 68

04 Nov 2013 17:49 #26 :: Darkki
The Hobbit movies
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
WORLDWIDE FAN EVENT - TODAY
NOVEMBER 4, 2013
2:00 PM PT / 5:00 PM ET
www.thehobbit.com/fanevent/

07 Dec 2013 17:14 #27 :: Baldric
The Hobbit movies - Desolation of Smaug
One week until the Desolation of Smaug. Really excited. Watched the extended version of the first film as an appetiser recently!!

Check out this review

There is a rumour they may make the Silmarillion sometime. Wow - what a challenge that would be. Bring it on, I say. To watch Beren hold out his arm and declare words to the effect, behold in my hand I hold a Silmaril - would have me reaching for a tissues. I also loved the tale of Turin Turinbar. That tale is so dark and sorrowful and yet at the same time moving. I would love to see the High Elves marching for the first time in Middle Earth as the sun rises for the first time, and flowers bloom beneath their marching feet. Then there's Glaurung, the first dragon, and Ungoliant, Shelob's distant relative.

I can but dream.

08 Dec 2013 10:32 #28 :: Seregil of Rhiminee
The Hobbit movies - Desolation of Smaug
I'm currently thinking of watching the extended version of the first film. A friend of mine said that it's good, so I'll try to watch it as soon as possible.

Baldric wrote: There is a rumour they may make the Silmarillion sometime. Wow - what a challenge that would be. [...]

I'd love to see The Silmarillion filmed, because it's a unique book in terms of storytelling and depth (it's one of the best and most beautifully written fantasy books ever, and Christopher Tolkien edited it perfectly). It might be possible to film this book in miniseries format, because it contains several stories that are linked together.

If The Silmarillion will someday be filmed, I think that HBO and Peter Jackson would be an ideal combination, because HBO has been able to film George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire perfectly (the British actors and actresses are simply amazing in this series) and Peter Jackson's extended versions of The Lord of the Rings movies were excellent. (I sincerely hope that Disney/ABC will never try to film this book, because they haven't been able to produce good fantasy for adults. I still think that Disney/ABC's version of Terry Goodkind's The Sword of Truth series was horrible and should never have seen the light of day.)
Edited by 08 Dec 2013 10:44 Seregil of Rhiminee

• Elke
    Level 26

15 Dec 2013 22:34 #29 :: Elke
The Hobbit movies
Seregil of Rhiminee wrote:

I'm currently thinking of watching the extended version of the first film ...

Yes, please do it. It's really worth it and a good preparation for the second part.

I have just been to the cinema watching "The Desolation of Smaug". Somehow it seems to be the destiny of middle parts of a trilogy to be less exciting and intriguing than the first and the last part. But it had some really great new characters introduced (Bard, Thranduil, the Master of Laketown, *Smaug* - of course) and again fantastic landscapes of New Zealand and perfect locations and settings.

I love the film and can truly recommend to watch it. And I'll buy the BluRay (like the first part's) because I like not only watching the film but also the bonus features.

25 Jan 2014 16:28 #30 :: Baldric
The Hobbit movies
Extended version of the first film is really good. you need to be a fan though! Really looking forward to final film and the extended versions.

26 Jan 2014 12:25 #31 :: Seregil of Rhiminee
The Hobbit movies
I haven't had a chance to watch the extended version yet, but I'll watch it soon.

I hope the extended version of the second film will be made available soon.

26 Jan 2014 13:31 #32 :: Baldric
The Hobbit movies
Probably September-ish, judging from he last film.