Game of Thrones

• Baldric's Avatar Topic Author
  • Baldric
    Level 16
24 Jan 2013 20:17 #1 :: Baldric
Game of Thrones
My wife bought me this for Christmas and my son and I sat down to watch it recently. What a great series. I really enjoyed it. It's quite complicated and there's lots of intrigue. It's very true to the book which rather surprised me.

It's a very long book and the series reflects that so it's good value for money. The ending has made me request series 2 for my birthday. Can't wait!
Edited by 15 Jan 2014 17:58 Darkki

25 Jan 2013 18:48 #2 :: Moonlord
Game of Thrones
Yeah, perfect ten for first season. I didn't quite like second season as much, but I have heard some people liking it more. Eagerly waiting for third season. I ordered all books also after seeing first season and have read first one so far, to my surprise I didn't found much anything there that wasn't in the tv-series, only bigger difference that I can recall was that child/teen actors in the series were couple years older than they were in the books, but that was a good thing in my opinion.

• Baldric
    Level 16
26 Jan 2013 08:36 #3 :: Baldric
Game of Thrones
Yes, I was surprised, too, that the script followed the book so exactly. I bought the book after seeing the series. It's complicated enough to warrent reading the book as well. However, it's not essential.

I'll definitely watch the series again. I'll let you know what I think about the second series.

26 Jan 2013 09:07 #4 :: Seregil of Rhiminee
Game of Thrones
I enjoyed both seasons, but I have to admit that it would've been nice if the writers had done certain things in a different way. I understand that it's necessary to change things when you film a book, but the Daenerys storyline in the second season differs quite a lot from the book.

You can find more information about the changes here .

I'm looking forward to seeing the third season, because it'll be interesting to see how they the writers have handled the Red Wedding and other scenes.

I have to mention that I think it's great that HBO produces this series, because HBO knows how to film adult fantasy. Other production companies simply can't compete with the quality of HBO.

• Baldric
    Level 16
27 Jan 2013 08:44 #5 :: Baldric
Game of Thrones
I was very surprised series 1 was very similar to the book. I agree that I don't understand some changes between films and books. I liked the Hobbit, but the the scene with the trolls was very different to the book and I really liked the book's version. The scene with Gollum and Bilbo was again changed but was very very good - best part of the film.

I agree with HBO doing good series. Rome and Spartacus (series 2 and 3, 1 was a bit too strange) were both very good. Not fantasy but still, excellent.

27 Jan 2013 14:43 #6 :: Seregil of Rhiminee
Game of Thrones

Baldric wrote: I was very surprised series 1 was very similar to the book. I agree that I don't understand some changes between films and books. I liked the Hobbit, but the the scene with the trolls was very different to the book and I really liked the book's version. The scene with Gollum and Bilbo was again changed but was very very good - best part of the film.

I agree with HBO doing good series. Rome and Spartacus (series 2 and 3, 1 was a bit too strange) were both very good. Not fantasy but still, excellent.

Yes, the first season is surprisingly similar to the book, which is good, but the writers made more changes to the second season.

I agree with you on the scene with Bilbo and Gollum. It was definitely the best part of the film, because Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis were perfect as Bilbo and Gollum.

(Hmm... If I'm not mistaken, Starz produces Spartacus.)

• Baldric
    Level 16
05 Feb 2013 18:51 #7 :: Baldric
Game of Thrones
Heh, I'm looking forward to series 2!

How deep is the snow Seregil? I was running in a light flurry and thought of Finland.

05 Feb 2013 19:48 #8 :: Seregil of Rhiminee
Game of Thrones

Baldric wrote: Heh, I'm looking forward to series 2!

I think that you'll enjoy the second season, because it's good entertainment for adults. My favourite episode is "Blackwater", because it was written by George R.R. Martin and directed by Neil Marshall (by the way, Neil Marshall has directed two excellent horror movies: Dog Soldiers and The Descent).

Baldric wrote: How deep is the snow Seregil? I was running in a light flurry and thought of Finland.

Hmm... Depending on the place where you are, we have approximately 20-40cm of snow on the southern coast. If I'm not mistaken, you probably have less snow in the UK at this time of year.
Edited by 05 Feb 2013 19:50 Seregil of Rhiminee

• Darkki
    Administrator
    Level 68

20 Mar 2013 10:40 #9 :: Darkki
Game of Thrones
So it's only a 11 days before the Game of Thrones season 3 will be aired on HBO. Those who haven't seen yet the official season 3 trailer, here is something to watch when waiting ...

Edited by 20 Mar 2013 10:44 Darkki

31 Mar 2013 16:36 #10 :: Leviathan
Game of Thrones
I'm reading the first book presently but unfortunately I haven't be able to watch any seasons of the Game of thrones yet... I will, however, bought the season 1 as soon as possible 'cause I've heard lots of plaudits about the series. But we'll see ~

12 May 2013 20:26 #11 :: Rasimus
Game of Thrones

Moonlord wrote: only bigger difference that I can recall was that child/teen actors in the series were couple years older than they were in the books,

Well... Considering what kind of stuff Martin puts his characters go through, it is understandable that preteens are not going to get mutilated, molested, murdered and so on in TV... :tongue:

Seregil wrote: the Daenerys storyline in the second season differs quite a lot from the book

I still haven't read books. But I do hope that whole book is not only about Daenerys wandering around the desert without doing anything, like in the series. I was a little disappointed how her story was completely halted during whole second season.

Baldric wrote: The scene with Gollum and Bilbo was again changed but was very very good - best part of the film.

Everyone seems to be praising that scene... Critics, audience, book-fans, book-haters etc. I think I missed something, because to me it was nice, but nothing special :huh:

Balric wrote: Rome and Spartacus (series 2 and 3, 1 was a bit too strange) were both very good. Not fantasy but still, excellent.

Depends on definition. Spartacus DEFINITELY is not a historical drama either :wink:

• Darkki
    Administrator
    Level 68

15 Jan 2014 17:58 #12 :: Darkki
Game of Thrones
New season 4 trailer is out!
Edited by 15 Jan 2014 17:58 Darkki

• Baldric
    Level 16
25 Jan 2014 16:25 #13 :: Baldric
Game of Thrones
So jealous. Season 4 looks brilliant. I haven't seen season 3 yet as we are awaiting the DVD set!! We don't have SKY.

26 Jan 2014 12:21 #14 :: Seregil of Rhiminee
Game of Thrones
I hope you enjoy season 3.

I personally loved the famous "Red Wedding" scene, because it was filmed and acted beautifully (and it was brilliantly brutal).
Edited by 26 Jan 2014 12:21 Seregil of Rhiminee

• Baldric
    Level 16
26 Jan 2014 13:33 #15 :: Baldric
Game of Thrones
Ahh, that's one scene I'm not sure I'll like. I'll be screaming "It's a trap" at the telly

04 Feb 2014 12:49 #16 :: Seregil of Rhiminee
Game of Thrones

• Baldric
    Level 16
04 Apr 2014 18:51 #17 :: Baldric
Game of Thrones
This is a funny mickey take on Game of Thrones

I have seen all of Season 3 and it was very good. Now waithing for Season 4 on DVD.
Edited by 04 Apr 2014 19:03 Baldric

04 Apr 2014 19:06 #18 :: Seregil of Rhiminee
Game of Thrones
Thanks for posting this link. It was indeed a funny take on Game of Thrones.

• Darkki
    Administrator
    Level 68

01 Feb 2015 12:58 #19 :: Darkki
Game of Thrones

• Darkki
    Administrator
    Level 68

09 Apr 2017 08:24 #20 :: Darkki
Game of Thrones