Latest topics

Latest Posts

Beautifully designed book covers?

Darkki
Administrator
Level: 65
Darkki created the topic: Beautifully designed book covers?
7 years 11 months ago #1

The metaphor expression "don’t judge a book by its cover" is commonly used, but probably many readers still pick a book by its cover art. Many books have different kind of cover for children's and adults, and also many books have different covers for US and UK releases. There has to be some reason for it :wink:

Has a book cover image any matter to you, when you select new books to read? I have to confess that I'm one of those. Of course the book cover itself is not the reason to pick a book, but still a nice cover get my attention.

In the spirit of book cover judging, here is my favorite book covers. Do you have favorite covers and what are they?

Do something

Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Darkki.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ageha

Fantasyfan
Administrator
Level: 30
Fantasyfan replied the topic: Beautifully designed book covers?
7 years 11 months ago #2

I have a sad experience on "don't buy a book based on it's cover". I once did so, so because the cover had strong and simple visual presentation that would be very appreaciated in photography circles.

The book was

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

After that I promised myself not to fall for it again.

Previosly I also enjoyed a lot of Pratchett's previous cover artist. Some people love that style, some hate. I loved all the small details that I could find from the book itself.

Seregil of Rhiminee
Administrator
Level: 102
Seregil of Rhiminee replied the topic: Beautifully designed book covers?
7 years 11 months ago #3

I know that a book shouldn't be judged by its cover, but in certain cases the cover images look so horrible that I think twice before buying the book.

I'm a big fan of beautiful paintings and I like old-fashioned painted cover images. One of my favourite painters is John Howe, because his paintings are beautiful.

I've always loved the original UK cover art and design of Robin Hobb's The Farseer Trilogy (John Howe's paintings are breathtakingly beautiful).

Matthew Jaffe's artistic cover image looks perfect in Laird Barron's Occultation and Other Stories .

I also have a soft spot for the cover images of Karen Michalson's Enemy Glory duology and Blake Charlton's The Spellwright Trilogy , because Todd Lockwood's cover art looks very nice.

Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Seregil of Rhiminee.

Online 35 visitors
Newest member: Ann Kabiru
Total members: 5910