Latest topics

Latest Posts

Thoughts on Terry Pratchett

Bill B
Elder
Level: 30
Bill B created the topic: Thoughts on Terry Pratchett
5 years 5 months ago #1

I stopped reading the Discworld books regularly around number 11 although I would occasionally dip into the series afterwards. Unlike just about everyone else, apparently, I enjoyed the first Rincewind books the most, mostly because I liked the parody. The books just started to get too repetitive for me. Pratchett seemed to operate on the principle that if a joke is worth using once, it's worth using every book. But I don't want to be too negative. At what he did he was very good, and his books generally reflect good values, which is rare.

Elke
Level: 26
Elke replied the topic: Thoughts on Terry Pratchett
5 years 4 months ago #2

I stuck to the Discworld novels until the very end. What I liked most, was the morals in Terry Pratchetts stories: his indulgence for cowards, plea for equal rights, dealing with so-called heroism, the personal development of persons – really admirable how he managed to place all this in his novels.
Until recently I didn’t know much about him (just read „A Slip oft he Keyboard“) but I’ll miss his view and opinion about life depicted in Discworld novels.

Fantasyfan
Administrator
Fantasyfan replied the topic: Thoughts on Terry Pratchett
5 years 4 months ago #3

When I was teen and new to fantasy, Pratchett was very new, funny and cool style for fantasy. In one point it got bit boring to me, but I've never lost my respect.

I knew Terry Pratchett had an Alzheimers, but I thought he'd still have years to go on.

HourglassEyes
Elder
HourglassEyes replied the topic: Thoughts on Terry Pratchett
5 years 4 months ago #4

I have a huge spot in my heart for Discworld ever since I read my first Terry, The Reaper Man. I was 20(ish) at the time and I couldn't remember any book (maybe besides Hitchiker's guide) before it that would have made me laugh out loud so much. Since then I've obtained quite many of his excellent stories.
When the news of his illness broke out few years back I was stunned and shocked, how could such a brilliant mind get Alzheimer? It just didn't seem right or fair..
And when the final announcemend finally came this year, I actually cried a little. I've never cried over any of my favorite authors, so i guess Terry really was something special for me. And I really think the world is bit more duller without him.

Sir Terry, I salute thee, where ever you may be.

”I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~Albert Einstein~

The following user(s) said Thank You: Elke

Online 40 visitors
Newest member: Morgan
Total members: 5921