June 13, 2021
1 topic | Seregil of Rhiminee

Help in remembering the name of two books

• John's Avatar Topic Author
  • John
    Level 4
19 May 2021 09:17 #1 :: John
Help in remembering the name of two books
I would like to inquire if anyone here can help me remember the names of two SciFi books and their authors, please? I was given the name of this and a few other sites in reply to a query I posted in a Flipboard article.

The first book starts off with a description in italics of farming and potatoes and I seem to recall (red) weevils mentioned in the first few pages. It had flying (hovering?) robots in it with tentacles and with eyes around their bodies. In one scene a character is walking up a hill and is followed by a rolling ball of light that travels on its arms (tentacles). I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall a battle which also takes place in this book. I know this is not much but I hope someone can help.

In the second book I am trying to identify, the crew of a ship wakes up to find that the ship is infested with aliens/monsters and at the end of the book we find out that the ship was damaged by a meteor (I think) and that the crew are lost in space due to the accident with the meteor and are using virtual reality to pass the years away. I think some of the crew members were asleep during the story, but am not sure. The book has a green cover with an alien creature on it I seem to recall.

These were among the first few science fiction books I ever read and hence my memory is very hazy. It has to be over 20+ years ago.  

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Best regards,

John

Edited by 19 May 2021 09:28 John