Latest posts

What have you read recently?

Xariel
Level: 37
Xariel created the topic: What have you read recently?
6 years 1 month ago #1

I thought we could use a topic like this. Fell free to gloat in an afterglow of a fantastical book or tell others not to bother with something that you found utterly disappointing. This is about the last pages that left you reeling and wanting more.

I just finished Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone and my, wasn't that somehthing! I fell for it from the first line. Of the back cover. I tried telling myself it wouldn't probably be that good and forgot about it for quite a some time. For like a year. The database log here shows me adding the book 19th of June in 2011, which actually is a really long time ago. For some reason, I found it again about three weeks ago and finally ordered it from Amazon.

I read it. Devoured it, to be more specific. And damn, it was awesome.

The best thing? The sequel is coming out in early November. Instead of waiting a year it'll be a few months. I'm probably even pre-ordering it. That's a first.

Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Xariel.

Pisania
Elder
Level: 32
Pisania replied the topic: What have you read recently?
5 years 2 months ago #2

I hardly ever buy books (for myself) but I had no choice with Ysabeau S. Wilce's Flora Segunda. It was recommended to me by Goodreads and since it could not be found in any public library in the country, I had to buy it. It sounded too interesting not to. Now that I have read the book, I'm pretty happy about my decision.

Although the story wasn't exactly what I expected according to the back cover description, it was still quite good. The main characters Flora and Udo were OK, not too childish or too mature for their age (14) and they didn't really have any annoying traits either. The supporting cast as very interesting and although none of them rose to be a particular favourite, there was a few that have potential to develop into quite charismatic people in future books of the series.

My favourite thing about Flora Segunda was the peculiar world Wilce has created. I really want to know more about it, especially Flora's family, its past and secrets. The other thing I enjoyed was Wilce's quirky and picturesque use of language. So many words there I've never come across before, and some I'm sure she's made up herself. Also there was a lot of fun and creative names for people, places and things. All in all, this book wasn't perfect but it was a very good beginning to something that's possibly awesome. So I guess I'll have to buy the second part too.

Xariel
Level: 37
Xariel replied the topic: What have you read recently?
5 years 4 weeks ago #3

Pisania wrote: I hardly ever buy books (for myself) but I had no choice with Ysabeau S. Wilce's Flora Segunda. It was recommended to me by Goodreads and since it could not be found in any public library in the country, I had to buy it.

So let me ask you this, will you keep the book or donate it to a library now when you're done with it? Since they don't have it, they'd surely be glad to get it, in case someone else wants to read it, and it wasn't your "favourite book 4ever" in which case you probably wouldn't want to give it up.

Pisania
Elder
Level: 32
Pisania replied the topic: What have you read recently?
5 years 3 weeks ago #4

Good question. I thought I might buy the trilogy a book at a time and after I've read it I could donate them to the library. Just in case the other parts are amazingly good and I couldn't bear to give the books away. On the other hand I could donate the first book now and ask the library to acquire the other parts... A dilemma indeed. Must ponder further.

Emma
Level: 2
Emma replied the topic: What have you read recently?
5 years 3 weeks ago #5

I recently read Wool by Hugh Howey. A dystopian thriller. They're calling it the next Hunger Games, which is nonsense, it's far more intricate.