The Void

Seregil of Rhiminee
Administrator
Level: 97
Seregil of Rhiminee created the topic: The Void
2 weeks 3 days ago #1

The Void - Official Trailer

In the middle of a routine patrol, officer Daniel Carter happens upon a blood-soaked figure limping down a deserted stretch of road. He rushes the young man to a nearby rural hospital staffed by a skeleton crew, only to discover that patients and personnel are transforming into something inhuman. As the horror intensifies, Carter leads the other survivors on a hellish voyage into the subterranean depths of the hospital in a desperate bid to end the nightmare before it's too late.

Seregil of Rhiminee
Administrator
Level: 97
Seregil of Rhiminee replied the topic: The Void
2 weeks 3 days ago #2

As a big fan of cosmic horror and Lovecraftian weirdness, I was very intrigued about The Void. Unfortunately, I was slightly disappointed by it, because it was a bit of a mess and had too much action.

This film feels like a combination of John Carpenter's The Thing and Prince of Darkness, Clive Barker's Hellraiser and Event Horizon. Although it's a modern film, it's kind of like a throwback to 80s horror films, which is nice. The filmmakers have a fan boy attitude towards old school horror and an obvious liking to John Carpenter's films.

What bugged me most about this film was that it had way too much action for my taste, because cosmic horror is not about action, but about a gradually intensifying sense of dread and unsettling atmosphere. It's great that there are certain scenes in which the filmmakers are able to reach the kind of disturbing and nightmarish atmosphere that fans of cosmic horror want to see in horror films, but the tension is spoiled by action.

I was also not entirely happy with the dialogue and the performances delivered by some of the actors. The dialogue felt a bit odd at certain points.

The ending was very much to my liking, because it had the kind of a sense of cosmic dread that I love. I can imagine that the ending may feel weird to those who are not familiar with Lovecraftian fiction and cosmic horror, but fans of cosmic horror will love it.

I enjoyed seeing the Cenobite-like character, because it's something that is not often seen in horror films. The gateway looked cool, and some of the scenes were unique in their weirdness.

If you think of this film as a gore-fest, you can't help but be impressed by the filmmakers' genuine enthusiasm towards gore elements and old school gore effects, because certain scenes are delightfully gory. I also want to mention that there are a few scenes that are reminiscent of body horror films.

Although this film is flawed, I must admit that it has all the makings of a cult film. Despite its obvious flaws, I liked it and found it interesting. This film is a good example of what can be achieved by independent filmmaking, because nothing like this will ever come out of Hollywood.

I give this film 3 stars on the scale from 1 to 5 stars for the filmmakers' attempt to create a cosmic horror film that is something different.

Last Edit: 2 weeks 3 days ago by Seregil of Rhiminee.