Latest topics

Latest Posts

Three-book deal for debut SF novelist Hannu Rajaniemi

Thialfi
Administrator
Level: 39
Thialfi created the topic: Three-book deal for debut SF novelist Hannu Rajaniemi
11 years 2 weeks ago #1

John Jarrold has concluded a three-book World Rights deal for Scottish-based Finnish SF writer Hannu Rajaniemi. Hannu's debut novel (presently untitled) plus two further books were pre-empted by Simon Spanton of Gollancz for a high five-figure sum, on the basis of one chapter.

'I received this chapter from Hannu by e-mail in the morning (and loved it), mentioned it to Simon when we were talking about other matters, and three hours later I had a very strong pre-empt offer,' said John Jarrold.  'After fifteen years in an editor's chair I am very aware how unusual it is for an offer to be made for a debut novelist on only twenty-four double spaced pages – particularly at a time when many publishing executives are more interested in the opinions of their sales and marketing directors than those of their senior editors.  So congratulations to Simon for his enthusiasm and the speed of his response, and much respect to those at Orion who trusted his judgement.  I think everyone can judge the power of Hannu's writing from the way this deal was done. This chapter leaves me thirsting for more!'

Read more...

Online 1 member and 38 visitors
Bill B
Newest member: Josh
Total members: 5189