Latest topics

Latest Posts

Gods & Monsters: Rupert Wong, Cannibal Chef by Cassandra Khaw

Seregil of Rhiminee
Administrator
Level: 102
Seregil of Rhiminee created the topic: Gods & Monsters: Rupert Wong, Cannibal Chef by Cassandra Khaw
4 years 9 months ago #1

Abaddon to taste ghoulish grub with Rupert Wong: Cannibal Chef

Cassandra Khaw joins illustrious list of authors to contribute to the Gods & Monsters series

www.abaddonbooks.com

Abaddon is delighted to be releasing Gods & Monsters: Rupert Wong: Cannibal Chef, the debut novella from Cassandra Khaw.

The bleeding-edge pulp fiction publisher discovered Cassandra through its 2015 Open Submissions Month, and she joins Chuck Wendig and Steven Blackmoore in creating a superb story set in Abaddon’s Gods & Monsters series.

The novella, which is set in Malaysia, features demon foetuses, Dragon Kings, gods gone wild, an ex-Triad cannibal chef- and is unlike anything else you’re likely to read this year.

Gods & Monsters: Rupert Wong: Cannibal Chef is to be published 23 October 2015.

Cassandra Khaw said:

"When I sent in my entry for Abaddon's Open Submissions Month, I remember thinking to myself: this is never going to work. Pulp fiction is all about heroes and anti-heroes, bad-asses who make things happen as opposed to thirty-something ex-Triad members forced to slave in ghoulish kitchens. Obviously, I was wrong.

I'm stupidly, stupendously excited to be working with Abaddon on Rupert Wong: Cannibal Chef. They've been nothing but supportive about my craziest ideas, and I rather desperately hope to populate their shared universes with my weirdness. Woot, I say. Woot.”

Abaddon Commissioning Editor David Thomas Moore said:

“Rupert’s a brilliant character; a sort of Malaysian John Constantine, with fewer scruples. A former Triad member and practising black magician, chef to a family of man-eating ghouls by day, local administrator for the Lord of Hell by night, he’s up to his neck in various spiritual (and material) debts, and getting caught in the middle of a three-way divine war doesn’t help! Cass has a wonderful voice, and has captured the feel of Chuck’s and Stephen’s world perfectly. Rupert Wong is a fun, witty, grotesque, fast-paced romp through Kuala Lumpur in the Gods and Monsters universe.”

In Kuala Lumpur, where deities and damned souls number in the millions, it doesn't pay to be a medium.

By day, Rupert Wong makes human hors d'oeuvres for a dynasty of ghouls. By night, he pushes pencils for the Ten Chinese Hells. But that still isn’t enough to buy him a new car, or his langsuir girlfriend passage from the reincarnation cycle. But then opportunity comes knocking with a whip and a carrot in each hand. 

The Dragon King of the South has a job for Rupert: find out who murdered the ocean god’s daughter and her once-mortal husband. He is given a single clue — bloodied feathers from the Greek furies — and the order to be discreet. Unfortunately, that clue could catalyze inter-pantheon conflict. If the Grecian divinities learn that the Dragon King suspects them of filicide, it might mean war. And Rupert would be stuck in the crossfire...

Gods & Monsters: Rupert Wong: Cannibal Chef will be an e-first publication.
Publisher: Abaddon
Release date: 23 October 2015
Price: £2.99/$3.49

Pre-order now:

Amazon US
Amazon UK

About the author

Cassandra Khaw is the business developer for a micropublisher Ysbryd Games, which specializes in narrative-driven video games. When not otherwise sending press releases, she is reading them. The Malaysian transplant contributes regularly to technology outlet Ars Technica UK. Somewhere between all that, Cassandra spends abnormal amounts of time writing about living architecture, Southeast Asian mythology, and fantastical things like older female characters with agency.

Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Seregil of Rhiminee.

Online 1 member and 44 visitors
Jerry Cohen
Newest member: Jerry Cohen
Total members: 5803