Latest topics

Latest Posts

Tomes of the Dead: The Lazarus Conundrum by Paul Starkey

Seregil of Rhiminee
Administrator
Level: 102
Seregil of Rhiminee created the topic: Tomes of the Dead: The Lazarus Conundrum by Paul Starkey
4 years 9 months ago #1

Abaddon to publish Open Subs Month pitch The Lazarus Conundrum

Paul Starkey pens a brand new instalment in the Tomes of the Dead series

www.abaddonbooks.com

In a world full of zombies, what happens when somebody dies... and they don’t come back? Abaddon is going to find out with the release of Paul Starkey’s The Lazarus Conundrum, the latest novella set in our Tomes of the Dead series.

Paul came to Abaddon’s attention during the publisher’s 2015 Open Submissions Month, and unique spin on zombie-based storytelling grabbed hold of Commissioning Editor David Thomas Moore and wouldn’t let go. Which was fitting, really.

Tomes of the Dead: The Lazarus Conundrum is to be published on 6 November 2015.

Paul Starkey said:

"When I submitted my idea to Abaddon I thought I had a chance, I think it’s hard to be a writer without having at least a smidgen of self-belief, but it’s always balanced with the knowledge that there are a lot of great writers out there. So when I got the email accepting my work I was surprised and thrilled. I’ve had stories published but this opportunity is by far the biggest thing that’s happened in my writing life. Everyone at Abaddon has been great, even when I’ve asked daft questions about violence and profanity! I’m just glad I threw out my original idea featuring sentient zombies and an alien invasion… ”

Abaddon Commissioning Editor David Thomas Moore said:

“Zombies are a story-telling vein that’s been deeply mined over the last few years, and Tomes’ mission – to find new zombie stories, to subvert the genre and turn its tropes on their heads – is tricky to say the least. But what a concept! A police procedural set in a world where everyone rises as zombies when they die, Lazarus asks, what does it mean when someone doesn’t? DI Helen Ogilvy’s on the case, and Paul’s twisty thriller is a celebration of the bizarre, from zombie brothels to nihilist “zombarchists” actively seeking death and reanimation. A sharp, smart commentary on politics and society.”

In a world where the dead routinely return to life, the most shocking mystery is when someone doesn’t.

Detective Inspector Helen Ogilvy is called to the scene of a murder. A young woman named Trinity Brown has been shot in the chest, and she’s stayed dead. 
The potential end to the zombie affliction should be a huge positive, but for a future UK teetering on the brink of becoming a police state, a country where healthcare has never been so well funded because lower mortality rates equal fewer zombies, the truth behind Trinity Brown’s non-resurrection has the potential to cause chaos, which is why a shadowy Government figure has persuaded Helen’s boss to keep a lid on what’s happened, at least for the moment.

Now Helen has two days to solve two mysteries. Who killed Trinity Brown, and why did she stay dead?

Tomes of the Dead: The Lazarus Conundrum will be an e-first publication.

Publisher: Abaddon
Release date: 6 November 2015
Price: £2.99/$3.49
Pre-order now:

Amazon US
Amazon UK

About the author

Paul Starkey lives in Nottingham. He’s wanted to be a writer since he was ten years old and has been writing furiously for the last fifteen years (seriously, he’s really angry). He’s been published in the UK, USA and Australia and has written five novels, several of which he’s self-published, along with a short story collection. He likes to flit between genres and usually mashes them together (spy thriller set in a haunted house, check). He enjoys the cinema, reading and quiet walks through 19th Century Whitechapel, and he blogs at werewolvesonthemoon.wordpress.com/ .

Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Seregil of Rhiminee.

Online 1 member and 41 visitors
FreakyMike
Newest member: Jerry Cohen
Total members: 5803