Two Worlds and in BetweenCaitlín R. Kiernan
science fiction, fantasy, horror, short stories
World Fantasy Award nominee 2012, Locus Award nominee 2012.
Dust jacket by Lee Moyer.
Caitlín R. Kiernan’s short fiction was first published in 1995. Over the intervening decade and a half, she has proven not only one of dark fantasy and science fiction’s most prolific and versatile authors, but, to quote Ramsey Campbell, “One of the most accomplished writers in the field, and very possibly the most lyrical.” S. T. Joshi has written, “Kiernan’s witchery of words creates a mesmerizing effect that we haven’t seen since the days of Lovecraft and Bradbury.”
Two Worlds and In Between: The Best of Caitlín R. Kiernan (Volume One) presents a stunning retrospective of the first ten years of her work, a compilation of more than two hundred thousand words of short fiction, including many of her most acclaimed stories, as well as some of the author’s personal favorites, several previously uncollected, hard-to-find pieces, and her sf novella, The Dry Salvages, and a rare collaboration with Poppy Z. Brite. Destined to become the definitive look at the early development of Kiernan’s work, Two Worlds and In Between is a must for fans and collectors alike, as well as an unprecedented introduction to an author who, over the course of her career, has earned the praise of such luminaries as Neil Gaiman, Peter Straub, Charles De Lint, and Clive Barker.
The Signed Limited Edition will feature sixteen pages of artwork from a variety of artists who’ve worked with Kiernan over the years, pages from her work on the DC/Vertigo comic The Dreaming, and a new chapbook, The Crimson Alphabet.
- Author’s Introduction
- Part One (1993-1999)
- Emptiness Spoke Eloquent 
- Two Worlds, and In Between 
- To This Water (Johnstown, Pennsylvania 1889) 
- Tears Seven Times Salt 
- Breakfast in the House of the Rising Sun (Murder Ballad No. 1) 
- Estate 
- Rats Live on No Evil Star 
- Salmagundi (New York City, 1981) 
- Postcards from the King of Tides 
- Giants in the Earth 
- Zelda Fitzgerald in Ballet Attire [1995-1999]
- Part Two (2000-2004)
- Spindleshanks (New Orleans, 1956) 
- The Road of Pins 
- Onion 
- In the Garden of Poisonous Flowers 
- Night Story 1973 (with Poppy Z. Brite) 
- From Cabinet 34, Drawer 6 
- Andromeda Among the Stones 
- La Peau Verte 
- Riding the White Bull 
- Waycross 
- The Dead and the Moonstruck 
- The Daughter of the Four of Pentacles 
- The Dry Salvages 
- The Worm in My Mind’s Eye 
- Houses Under the Sea 
- Publication History
- Ilustrations (Bonus in Limited)
Caitlín Rebekah Kiernan (born 1964) is the author of science fiction and dark fantasy works, including ten novels; many comic books; and more than two hundred published short stories, novellas, and vignettes. She is also the author of scientific papers in the field of paleontology.
Caitlín R. Kiernan also writes under the pseudonym of Kathleen Tierney.