Edited by Ross E. Lockhart.
Last year, Night Shade Books unleashed The Book of Cthulhu onto an unsuspecting world. Critically acclaimed as “the ultimate Cthulhu anthology” and “a ‘must read’ for fans of Lovecraft’s Cthulhu mythos,” The Book of Cthulhu went where no collection of mythos tales had gone before: to the very edge of madness... and beyond.
For nearly a century, H. P. Lovecraft’s tales of malevolent Great Old Ones existing beyond the dimensions of this world, beyond the borders of sanity, have captured and held the imaginations of writers and aficionados of the dark, the macabre, the fantastic, and the horrible. Now, because you demanded more, anthologist Ross E. Lockhart has risked all to dive back into the Cthulhu canon, combing through mind-shattering manuscripts and moldering tomes to bring you The Book of Cthulhu 2, with even more tales of tentacles, terror, and madness.
Featuring monstrous stories by many of weird fiction’s brightest lights, The Book of Cthulhu 2 brings you even more tales inspired by H. P. Lovecraft’s greatest creation: The Cthulhu mythos.
This year, the stars are right...
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu Fhtagn!
- Introduction by Ross E. Lockhart
- Shoggoth's Old Peculiar by Neil Gaiman
- Nor the Demons Down Under the Sea by Caitlín R. Kiernan
- This Is How the World Ends by John R. Fultz
- The Drowning at Lake Henpin by Paul Tobin
- The Ocean and All Its Devices by William Browning Spencer
- Take Your Daughters to Work by Livia Llewellyn
- The Big Fish by Kim Newman
- Rapture of the Deep by Cody Goodfellow
- Once More, from the Top by A. Scott Glancy
- The Hour of the Tortoise by Molly Tanzer
- I Only Am Escaped Alone to Tell Thee by Christopher Reynaga
- Objects from the Gilman-Waite Collection by Ann K. Schwader
- Of Melei, of Ulthar by Gord Sellar
- A Gentleman from Mexico by Mark Samuels
- The Hands That Reek and Smoke by W. H. Pugmire
- Akropolis by Matt Wallace
- Boojum by Elizabeth Bear and Sarah Monette
- The Nyarlathotep Event by Jonathan Wood
- The Black Brat of Dunwich by Stanley C. Sargent
- The Terror from the Depths by Fritz Leiber
- Black Hill by Orrin Grey
- The God of Dark Laughter by Michael Chabon
- Sticks by Karl Edward Wagner
- Hand of Glory by Laird Barron
Ross E. Lockhart is an author, anthologist, editor, and publisher. A lifelong fan of supernatural, fantastic, speculative, and weird fiction, Lockhart is a veteran of small-press publishing, having edited scores of well-regarded novels of horror, fantasy, and science fiction. Lockhart edited the anthologies The Book of Cthulhu I and II, Tales of Jack the Ripper, The Children of Old Leech: A Tribute to the Carnivorous Cosmos of Laird Barron (with Justin Steele), Giallo Fantastique, Cthulhu Fhtagn!, and Eternal Frankenstein. He is the author of Chick Bassist. Lockhart lives in a state of quantum flux in Petaluma, California, with his wife Jennifer, hundreds of books (currently residing in boxes), and Elinor Phantom, a Shih Tzu moonlighting as his editorial assistant.