Once Upon a Time: New Fairy TalesPaula Guran
Edited by Paula Guran.
Eighteen extraordinary authors devise all-new fairy tales: imaginative reinterpretations of the familiar, evocative new myths, speculations beyond the traditional realm of “once upon a time.” Often dark, occasionally humorous, always enthralling, these entertaining stories find a certain Puss in a near-future New York, an empress bargaining with a dragon, a princess turned into a raven, a king’s dancing daughters with powerful secrets, great heroism, terrible villainy, sparks of mischief, and a great deal more. Brilliant dreams and dazzling nightmares with meaning for today and tomorrow...
Contents (alphabetically by author):
- “The Giant In Repose” by Nathan Ballingrud
- “Eat Me, Drink Me, Love Me” by Christopher Barzak
- “Tales That Fairies Tell” by Richard Bowes
- “Warrior Dreams” by Cinda Williams Chima
- “Blanchefleur” by Theodora Goss
- “The Road of Needles” by Caitlín R. Kiernan
- “Below the Sun Beneath” by Tanith Lee
- “The Coin of Heart’s Desire” by Yoon Ha Lee
- “Sleeping Beauty of Elista” by Ekaterina Sedia
- “Egg” by Priya Sharma
- “Lupine” by Nisi Shawl
- “Castle of Masks” by Cory Skerry
- “Flight” by Angela Slatter
- “The Lenten Rose” by Genevieve Valentine
- “The Hush of Feathers, the Clamour of Wings” by A.C. Wise
- “Born and Bread” by Kaaron Warren
- “The Mirror Tells All” by Erzebet YellowBoy
- “The Spinning Wheel’s Tale” by Jane Yolen
Paula Guran is senior editor for Prime Books. She edited the Juno fantasy imprint from its small press inception through its incarnation as an imprint of Pocket Books. Guran edits the annual Year’s Best Dark Fantasy and Horror series as well as a growing number of other anthologies. In an earlier life she produced weekly email newsletter DarkEcho (winning two Stokers, an IHG award, and a World Fantasy Award nomination), edited Horror Garage (earning another IHG and a second World Fantasy nomination), and has contributed reviews, interviews, and articles to numerous professional publications.