Future GamesPaula Guran
science fiction, anthology
Edited by Paula Guran.
Human competition is eternal. No matter what the future brings, sports will be a part of it. But what forms will these games take? Who will be the spectator, who will play? Will aliens be our opponents or machines? What rules will we play by? What will be at stake? What rewards will be reaped by the victors? What fates await the defeated? Will the entire universe be our arena or will our world be smaller than today? Visionary authors speculate on what swifter, higher, stronger will mean in the near and distant future.
Contents (alphabetical order):
- “Distance” by Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff
- “Ender’s Game” by Orson Scott Card
- “Anda’s Game” by Cory Doctorow
- “Breakaway” by George Alec Effinger
- “Pawn” by Timons Esaias
- “Will the Chill” by John Shirley
- “Diamond Girls” by Louise Marley
- “Run to Starlight” by George R.R. Martin
- “The Fate of Nations” by James Morrow
- “The Survivor” by Walter F. Moudy
- “Listen” by Joel Richards
- “Name That Planet!” by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough
- “Man-Mountain Gentian” by Howard Waldrop
- “Unsportsmanlike Conduct” by Scott Westerfeld
- “Ladies and Gentlemen, This Is Your Crisis!” by Kate Wilhelm
- “Kip Running” by Genevieve Williams
Paula Guran is senior editor for Prime Books. She edited the Juno fantasy imprint from its small press inception through its incarnation as an imprint of Pocket Books. Guran edits the annual Year’s Best Dark Fantasy and Horror series as well as a growing number of other anthologies. In an earlier life she produced weekly email newsletter DarkEcho (winning two Stokers, an IHG award, and a World Fantasy Award nomination), edited Horror Garage (earning another IHG and a second World Fantasy nomination), and has contributed reviews, interviews, and articles to numerous professional publications.