Witches: Wicked, Wild & WonderfulPaula Guran
Edited by Paula Guran.
A bewitching brew of stories sure to enchant.
Surrounded by the aura of magic, witches have captured our imaginations for millennia and fascinate us now more than ever. No longer confined to the image of a hexing old crone, witches can be kindly healers and protectors, tough modern urban heroines, holders of forbidden knowledge, sweetly domestic spellcasters, darkly domineering, sexy enchantresses, ancient sorceresses, modern Wiccans, empowered or persecuted, possessors of supernatural abilities that can be used for good or evil — or perhaps only perceived as such. Welcome to the world of witchery in many guises: wicked, wild, and wonderful. Includes two original, never-published stories.
- The Cold Blacksmith by Elizabeth Bear
- The Ground Whereon She Stands by Leah Bobet
- The Witch’s Headstone by Neil Gaiman
- Lessons with Miss Gray by Theodora Goss
- The Only Way to Fly by Nancy Holder
- Basement Magic by Ellen Klages
- Nightside by Mercedes Lackey
- April in Paris by Ursula K. Le Guin
- The Goosle by Margo Lanagan
- Mirage and Magia by Tanith Lee
- Poor Little Saturday by Madeleine L'Engle
- Catskin by Kelly Link
- Bloodlines by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
- The Way Wind by Andre Norton
- Skin Deep by Richard Parks
- Ill Met in Ulthar by T. A. Pratt
- Marlboros & Magic by Linda Robertson
- Walpurgis Afternoon by Delia Sherman
- The World Is Cruel, My Daughter by Cory Skerry
- The Robbery by Cynthia Ward
- Afterward by Don Webb
- Magic Carpets by Leslie What
- Boris Chernevsky's Hands by Jane Yolen
Paula Guran is senior editor for Prime Books. She edited the Juno fantasy imprint from its small press inception through its incarnation as an imprint of Pocket Books. Guran edits the annual Year’s Best Dark Fantasy and Horror series as well as a growing number of other anthologies. In an earlier life she produced weekly email newsletter DarkEcho (winning two Stokers, an IHG award, and a World Fantasy Award nomination), edited Horror Garage (earning another IHG and a second World Fantasy nomination), and has contributed reviews, interviews, and articles to numerous professional publications.