Obsession: Tales of Irresistible DesirePaula Guran
Edited by Paula Guran.
Legends and myths of all cultures tell of those possessing captivating allure we are powerless to resist. Sirens, demon lovers, femme fatales, and others compel our love, drawing us into realms of forbidden desire and uncontrollable passion. These seductions are not always supernatural, nor even sexual. We can be haunted by unrequited desire, ensnared by our own minds, or swept away by another’s madness. Obsession overwhelms, takes us to irrational extremes, involves us in dangerous liaisons and fatal attractions... obsession consumes. Enticing, compulsively readable tales from nineteen masterful storytellers.
- “Medusa’s Child,” Kim Antieau
- “Hot Eyes, Cold Eyes,” Lawrence Block
- “Hymenoptera,” Michael Blumlein
- “She’s Not There,” Pat Cadigan
- “My Lady of the Hearth,” Storm Constantine
- “Calypso in Berlin,” Elizabeth Hand
- “Lady Madonna,” Nancy Holder
- “In the Cold, Dark Time,” Joe R. Lansdale
- “Nunc Dimittis,” Tanith Lee
- “The Girl with Hungry Eyes,” Fritz Leiber
- “Tallulah,” Charles de Lint
- “The Snake Woman’s Lover,” Catherine Lundoff
- “Land of the Lost,” Stewart O’Nan
- “The Oval Portrait,” Edgar Allan Poe
- “The Hound Lover,” Laura Resnick
- “Barbara,” John Shirley
- “An Apiary of White Bees,” Lee Thomas
- “Close to You,” Steve Rasnic Tem
- “The Light That Passes Through You,” Conrad Williams
Paula Guran is senior editor for Prime Books. She edited the Juno fantasy imprint from its small press inception through its incarnation as an imprint of Pocket Books. Guran edits the annual Year’s Best Dark Fantasy and Horror series as well as a growing number of other anthologies. In an earlier life she produced weekly email newsletter DarkEcho (winning two Stokers, an IHG award, and a World Fantasy Award nomination), edited Horror Garage (earning another IHG and a second World Fantasy nomination), and has contributed reviews, interviews, and articles to numerous professional publications.