Cover art by Jenn Reese.
This collection of short stories and novelettes includes the previously
published stories “The Potter’s Daughter” (a prequel to the novel The
Element of Fire), “Holy Places,” “Rites of Passage,” “Houses of the
Dead,” “Reflections” (the Giliead and Ilias stories, prequels to the
Fall of Ile-Rien trilogy), as well as “Night at the Opera” (a Nicholas
and Reynard story original to this collection, set before the
Nebula-nominated novel The Death of the Necromancer).
- The Potter's Daughter - Kade Carrion investigates troublesome magic
in a small village. "The Potter's Daughter" first appeared in Elemental,
- Night at the Opera - A noble Rienish family asks Reynard Morane to
thwart a sorcerous blackmailer, and he recruits a reluctant Nicholas
Valiarde to help. "Night at the Opera" is original to this collection.
- Holy Places - Ilias is abandoned by the Finan family and finds
Andrien, just as the house is attacked. "Holy Places" first appeared in
Black Gate #11, August 2007.
- Rites of Passage - Most people in Cineth believe Giliead is too
young to take up the duties of a Chosen Vessel, but he may not have a
choice. "Rites of Passage" first appeared on MarthaWells.com in April
- Houses of the Dead - Giliead and Ilias are called to investigate a
strange happening in godless territory, and find a deserted
city. "Houses of the Dead" first appeared in Black Gate #12, July 2008.
- Reflections - Searching the wilderness for a fleeing wizard, Giliead
and Ilias encounter strange magic. "Reflections" first appeared in
Black Gate #10, March 2007