Captain Vlora is a powder mage in the Adran army. Once the favored, adopted daughter of the field marshal, she is now a pariah amongst those she called her family. Her superior officers would like nothing more than to send her to a far off posting and forget about her, but no one is exempt when there is a war - and powder mages are desperately needed.
When a traitorous guard captain goes on the run with information that could harm the war effort, Vlora is sent on his trail. She has three days to find him; she will have to make new friends and test the limits of her skills. Fail, and good soldiers will die. Succeed and maybe, just maybe, she can begin to work her way back into the field marshal's good graces.
A new story set in the world of the Powder Mage trilogy, the most acclaimed and action-packed new epic fantasy series in recent years. RETURN TO HONOR takes place directly following the events of book one, Promise of Blood.
Brian McClellan is an avid reader of fantasy and graduate of Orson Scott Card's Literary Bookcamp. When he is not writing, he loves baking, making jam from fruit grown in northeast OH, and playing video games. He currently lives in Cleveland, Ohio with his wife.
The Powder Mage (short fiction) :: Series
- Forsworn: Occurs about thirty-five years before Promise of Blood.
- Servant of the Crown: Takes place immediately after the events in Forsworn but before the epilogue.
- Murder at the Kinnen Hotel: occurs twenty-two years before the events in Promise of Blood.
- Hope's End: About nineteen years before Promise of Blood.
- The Girl of Hrusch Avenue: Ten years before Promise of Blood.
- The Face in the Window: About two years before Promise of Blood.
- Return to Honor: Between Promise of Blood and The Crimson Campaign.
Belongs to the series The Powder Mage Universe