The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy Novellas: 2015 EditionPaula Guran
science fiction, fantasy, anthology
Edited by Paula Guran.
The Year's Best Science Fiction and Fantasy Novellas: 2015 inaugurates a new annual series of anthologies featuring some of the year's best novella-length science fiction and fantasy. Novellas, longer than short stories but shorter than novels, are a rich and rewarding literary form that can fully explore tomorrow's technology, the far reaches of the future, thought-provoking imaginings, fantastic worlds, and entertaining concepts with the impact of a short story and the detailed breadth of a novel. Gathering a wide variety of excellent SF and fantasy, this anthology of "short novels" showcases the talents of both established masters and new writers.
- “In Her Eyes” by Seth Chambers (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, Jan/Feb 2014)
- The Churn: An Expanse Novella by James S. A. Corey (Orbit)
- “Where the Trains Turn” by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen (translated by Liisa Rantalaiho) (Tor.com, 15 November 2014)
- Yesterday’s Kin by Nancy Kress (Tachyon Publications)
- “Claudius Rex” by John P. Murphy (Alembical 3: A Distillation of Three Novellas, eds. Schoen & Dorrance)
- “The Things We Do For Love” by K. J. Parker (Subterranean Press Magazine, Summer 2014)
- “The Mothers of Voorhisville” by Mary Rickert, (Tor.com, 30 Apr 2014)
- “The Lightning Tree” by Patrick Rothfuss (Rogues, eds. Martin & Dozois)
- Dream Houses by Genevieve Valentine (Dream Houses WSFA/ Wyrm Publishing)
Paula Guran is senior editor for Prime Books. She edited the Juno fantasy imprint from its small press inception through its incarnation as an imprint of Pocket Books. Guran edits the annual Year’s Best Dark Fantasy and Horror series as well as a growing number of other anthologies. In an earlier life she produced weekly email newsletter DarkEcho (winning two Stokers, an IHG award, and a World Fantasy Award nomination), edited Horror Garage (earning another IHG and a second World Fantasy nomination), and has contributed reviews, interviews, and articles to numerous professional publications.