The Book of SwordsGardner Dozois
fantasy > sword and sorcery, anthology
World Fantasy Award nominee 2018.
Edited by Gardner Dozois.
New epic fantasy in the grand tradition — including a never-before-published Song of Ice and Fire story by George R. R. Martin!
Fantasy fiction has produced some of the most unforgettable heroes ever conjured onto the page: Robert E. Howard’s Conan the Barbarian, Michael Moorcock’s Elric of Melniboné, Fritz Leiber’s Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. Classic characters like these made sword and sorcery a storytelling sensation, a cornerstone of fantasy fiction — and an inspiration for a new generation of writers, spinning their own outsize tales of magic and swashbuckling adventure.
Now, in Book of Swords, acclaimed editor and bestselling author Gardner Dozois presents an all-new anthology of original epic tales by a stellar cast of award-winning modern masters — many of them set in their authors’ best-loved worlds. Join today’s finest tellers of fantastic tales, including George R. R. Martin, K. J. Parker, Robin Hobb, Ken Liu, C. J. Cherryh, Daniel Abraham, Lavie Tidhar, Ellen Kushner, and more on action-packed journeys into the outer realms of dark enchantment and intrepid derring-do, featuring a stunning assortment of fearless swordsmen and warrior women who face down danger and death at every turn with courage, cunning, and cold steel.
- Introduction by Gardner Dozois
- THE BEST MAN WINS, by K.J. Parker
- HIS FATHER'S SWORD, by Robin Hobb
- THE HIDDEN GIRL, by Ken Liu
- THE SWORD OF DESTINY, by Matthew Hughes
- “I AM A HANDSOME MAN,” SAID APOLLO CROW, by Kate Elliott
- THE TRIUMPH OF VIRTUE, by Walter Jon Williams
- THE MOCKING TOWER, by Daniel Abraham
- HRUNTING, by C.J. Cherryh
- A LONG, COLD TRAIL, by Garth Nix
- WHEN I WAS A HIGHWAYMAN, by Ellen Kushner
- THE SMOKE OF GOLD IS GLORY by Scott Lynch
- THE COLGRID CONUNDRUM, by Rich Larson
- THE KING'S EVIL, by Elizabeth Bear
- WATERFALLING, by Lavie Tidhar
- THE SWORD TYRASTE, by Cecelia Holland
- THE SONS OF THE DRAGON, by George R.R. Martin
Gardner Raymond Dozois (1947-2018) was an American science fiction author and editor. He was the founding editor of The Year's Best Science Fiction anthologies (1984-present) and was editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine (1984-2004), garnering multiple Hugo and Locus Awards for those works almost every year. He also won the Nebula Award for Best Short Story twice. He was inducted to the Science Fiction Hall of Fame on June 25, 2011.
Photo: Gardner Dozois at Clarion West 1998. Photographer: Ellen Levy Finch. Source: Wikimedia Commons.