A collection of twenty-one dark fantasy and horror stories by Deborah Sheldon.
Mysterious. Creepy. Disturbing. Including:
- A funeral director, who steals body parts for cash, takes delivery of an unusual corpse.
- The crew of a nineteenth-century fishing boat encounters an unknown but irresistible danger.
- A dog-sledder on a secret mission in Antarctica fights for his life against the monsters that have fuelled his every nightmare since the Vietnam war.
The published stories include:
- Perfect little stitches - Midnight Echo, shortlisted for an Australian Shadows Award 2015
- What the sea wants - SQ Mag, shortlisted for an Australian Shadows Award 2016
- Across the white desert - Aurealis
- In the company of women - Pulp Modern
- Will o' the wisp - Lighthouses: an anthology of dark tales (Black Beacon Books)
- Fair haired boy - Skive Magazine
- A faithful companion - Tincture Journal
- Griselda Gosh - Eclecticism E-zine
- Post hoc ergo propter hoc - Allegory Magazine, honourable mention in the AHWA Flash Fiction Competition 2015
- The brightest place - Polestar Writers' Journal
The unpublished stories include:
- Nocturnal fury
- The sundowners
- Angel hair - second place in the AHWA Short Story Competition 2016
- Sarah Jane runs away with the circus
- Stagecoach from Castlemaine
- A haunting in suburbia
- Species endangered
- Delirium of negation
The novelette, 'The Again Walkers', was inspired by Deb’s interest in ninth century Danish mythology and superstition. To end a blood feud between two Viking families, Svana Norup is offered as a peace-pledge bride to blacksmith, Hallkell Jenson. Within weeks of moving to Hallkell's village, however, Svana meets and falls for the shepherd, Agmundr Rask. If Svana and Agmundr want to make a life together, they must first slaughter Hallkell. But can the lovers risk murder when Hallkell might return from the dead as a reanimated corpse, an Again Walker, to take revenge.
Deborah Sheldon is an author of dark fiction and crime and is based in Melbourne.
Her fiction has appeared in various magazines such as Quadrant, Island, Aurealis, SQ Mag, and Midnight Echo, as well as in many anthologies. Latest releases, all traditionally published, include the horror novel, 'Devil Dragon', the crime-noir novellas, 'Dark Waters' and 'Ronnie and Rita', the crime-themed collection, 'Mayhem: selected stories', and the horror collection, 'Perfect Little Stitches and other stories'. Other credits include TV scripts; stage and radio plays; feature articles; non-fiction books; and award-winning medical writing.