The Outlandish Companion
New York Times bestselling author Diana Gabaldon has captured the hearts of millions with her critically acclaimed novels, Outlander. Dragonfly In Amber, Voyager, and Drums Of Autumn. From the moment Claire Randall accidentally steps through a magical stone that transports her back in time more than 200 years to 1743, and into the arms of Scottish soldier Jamie Fraser, readers have been enthralled with this epic saga of time travel, adventure, and love everlasting.
Now Diana Gabaldon has written the ultimate companion guide to her bestselling series, the book only she could write – a beautifully illustrated compendium of all things Outlandish. As a special bonus for those who are eagerly awaiting the next appearance of Jamie and Claire, she includes never – before – published excerpts from upcoming works in the series. And there's lots more in this lavish keepsake volume for the many devoted fans who yearn to learn the stories behind the stories:
- Full synopses of Oulander, Dragonfly In Amber, Voyager, and Drums Of Autumn
- A complete listing of the characters in all four novels, including extensively researched family trees and genealogical notes
- Professionally cast horoscopes for Jamie and Claire
- A comprehensive glossary and pronunciation guide to Gaelic terms and usage
- The fully explicated Gabaldon Theory of Time Travel
- Frequently asked questions to the author and her (sometimes surprising) answers
- An annotated bibliography
- Tips, personal stories – even a recipe or two
- Essays about medicine and magic in the eighteenth century, researching historical fiction, and more
With the insight, humor, and eye for detail that has made her novels such an outstanding success story. Diana Gabaldon here gives her readers the best gift of all – The Outlandish Companion.
Diana Jean Gabaldon Watkins (born 1952) is an American author of Mexican-American and English ancestry. Diana Gabaldon is her maiden name, and the one she uses professionally.
Diana Gabaldon is the author of the best-selling Outlander series. Her books are difficult to classify by genre, since they contain elements of romantic fiction, historical fiction, and science fiction (in the form of time travel).
Outlander is a series of historical fantasy novels by American author Diana Gabaldon. Gabaldon began the first volume of the series, Outlander, in the late 1980s, and it was published in 1991.
The Outlander series focuses on 20th-century British nurse Claire Randall, who time travels to 18th-century Scotland and finds adventure and romance with the dashing Highland warrior Jamie Fraser.
Outlander consists of nine primary works, and includes four additional books that complement the series but are not considered mandatory reads, and the series is set to expand with the upcoming release of two more books. The current recommended reading order for the series is provided below.