Weirder Shadows Over Innsmouth
Edited by Stephen Jones.
FINAL SHADOWS GATHER...
The final volume in the trilogy that began with the World Fantasy Award-nominated Shadows Over Innsmouth (1994) and Weird Shadows Over Innsmouth (2005), containing stories by Ramsey Campbell, Adrian Cole, John Glasby, Brian Hodge, Caitlín R. Kiernan, Brian Lumley, Kim Newman, Reggie Oliver, Angela Slatter, Michael Marshall Smith, Simon Kurt Unsworth and Conrad Williams, along with an Innsmouth poem by H.P. Lovecraft and a “posthumous collaboration” between the author and August Derleth.
Once again taking Lovecraft’s original 1931 novella as inspiration, we are introduced to the Massachusetts seaport and its ichthyoid denizens years before that fateful FBI raid. From there, Dagon’s blasphemous spawn spread out across the globe, while the offspring of that decaying fishing town undergo their own, often bizarre, metamorphoses.
As the world changes, so through eldritch rituals and human sacrifices the Deep Ones’ masters — the terrifying Great Old Ones themselves — prepare to escape their prisons when the stars are right, so that they may once again reclaim the Earth as their own.
As the waters continue to rise, mankind begins its ultimate struggle for survival against a pantheon of dark gods and their batrachian foot-soldiers...
- Weirder Shadows (intro) - Steve Jones
- The Port - H.P. Lovecraft
- Innsmouth Bane - John Glasby
- Richard Riddle, Boy Detective, in "The Case of the French Spy" - Kim Newman
- Innsmouth Clay - H.P. Lovecraft and August Derleth
- The Archbishop's Well - Reggie Oliver
- You Don't Want To Know - Adrian Cole
- Fish Bride - Caitlin Kiernan
- The Hag Stone - Conrad Williams
- On The Reef - Caitlin Kiernan
- The Song of Sighs - Angela Slatter
- The Same Deep Waters as You - Brian Hodge
- The Winner - Ramsey Campbell
- The Transition of Elizabeth Haskings - Caitlin Kiernan
- The Chain - Michael Marshall Smith
- Into the Water - Simon Kurt Unsworth
- Rising, Not Dreaming - Angela Slatter
- The Long Last Night - Brian Lumley
Stephen Jones (born 1953) is an acclaimed editor of numerous award-winning horror anthologies, and the author of several book-length studies of horror and fantasy films as well as an account of Lovecraft's early British publications. Jones has edited anthologies such as the Best New Horror series, Dark Terrors, The Mammoth Book of Vampires, The Mammoth Book of Zombies, The Mammoth Book of Dracula, The Mammoth Book of Frankenstein, The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women, The Vampire Stories of R. Chetwynd-Hayes and The Conan Chronicles, 1 and The Conan Chronicles, 2 by Robert E. Howard. Jones has also been co-editor of several books with Kim Newman, such as Horror: 100 Best Books and Horror: Another 100 Best Books with 200 essays on seminal horror books by acclaimed writers of this genre. Jones also edited Dancing with the Dark, a collection of stories of allegedly real life encounters with the paranormal by established horror writers. Jones has been the recipient of a Hugo award and many Bram Stoker Awards.
Shadows Over Innsmouth consists of three books. The current recommended reading order for the series is provided below.