British Fantasy Award nominee 1996, World Fantasy Award nominee 1996.
Edited by Stephen Jones and David Sutton.
A showcase anthology of the very best in horror and dark fantasy writing by modern masters of the macabre. Here is a hair-raising collection comprising some of the very finest in horror and dark fantasy. Drawing from both sides of the Atlantic, each volume features the work of some of the genres' biggest-selling names as well as their rising stars. In Dark Terrors 1, tales by Peter Straub, Ramsey Campbell, Christopher Fowler, Kim Newman, Richard Christian Matheson, Graham Masterton, and Brian Lumley chill the blood.
- About the Editors
- More Tomorrow by Michael Marshall Smith
- The Puppets by Ramsey Campbell
- Sampled by Steve Rasnic Tem
- The Hungry Moon by Graham Masterton
- Love Eats by Lisa Morton
- Uzzi by Brian Lumley
- Splatter of Black by Charles Gramlich (as by Charles A. Gramlich)
- The Laundry Imp by Christopher Fowler
- Food for Thought by Mandy Slater
- Screens by Terry Lamsley
- All My Friends Are Here by Charles Wagner
- Eternity Ltd by Mark Morris
- The Lagoon by Nicholas Royle
- At the Crossroads, Burying the Dog by Jeff VanderMeer
- The Travelling Salesman's Christmas Special by C. Bruce Hunter
- A Feast at Grief's Table by Roberta Lannes
- Bleed by Richard Christian Matheson
- Where the Bodies Are Buried 3: Black and White and Red All Over by Kim Newman
- I've Come to Talk with You Again by Karl Edward Wagner
- Fee by Peter Straub
Stephen Jones (born 1953) is an acclaimed editor of numerous award-winning horror anthologies, and the author of several book-length studies of horror and fantasy films as well as an account of Lovecraft's early British publications. Jones has edited anthologies such as the Best New Horror series, Dark Terrors, The Mammoth Book of Vampires, The Mammoth Book of Zombies, The Mammoth Book of Dracula, The Mammoth Book of Frankenstein, The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women, The Vampire Stories of R. Chetwynd-Hayes and The Conan Chronicles, 1 and The Conan Chronicles, 2 by Robert E. Howard. Jones has also been co-editor of several books with Kim Newman, such as Horror: 100 Best Books and Horror: Another 100 Best Books with 200 essays on seminal horror books by acclaimed writers of this genre. Jones also edited Dancing with the Dark, a collection of stories of allegedly real life encounters with the paranormal by established horror writers. Jones has been the recipient of a Hugo award and many Bram Stoker Awards.
Dark Terrors consists of six books. The current recommended reading order for the series is provided below.