Dark Terrors 5
World Fantasy Award nominee 2001, British Fantasy Award nominee 2001.
Edited by Stephen Jones and David Sutton.
Firmly established as the world's premier horror anthology series, this latest volume is twice the size, presenting almost a quarter of a million words of new fiction by some of the hottest names and most talented newcomers in the field. Contributors to DARK TERRORS 5 include Peter Straub, Poppy Z. Brite, Ramsey Campbell, Mick Garris – Stephen King's director of choice – Gwyneth Jones, Michael Marshall Smith, Kim Newman, Gahan Wilson, Christopher Fowler and many, many more.
- Introduction by Stephen Jones and David Sutton
- At Home in the Pubs of Old London by Christopher Fowler
- Valentia by Caitlín R. Kiernan (as by Caitlín Kiernan)
- Barking Sands by Richard Christian Matheson
- Everything, in All the Wrong Order by Chaz Brenchley
- Savannah is Six by James Van Pelt
- Now Day Was Fled as the Worm Had Wished by Brian Hodge
- Why Rudy Can't Read by David J. Schow
- No Story in It by Ramsey Campbell
- Witch-Compass by Graham Masterton
- The Proposal by Nicholas Royle
- Changes by C. Bruce Hunter
- The Abortionist's Horse (A Nightmare) by Tanith Lee
- The Handover by Michael Marshall Smith
- Pearl by Roberta Lannes
- Beauregard by Eric Brown
- Necromimicos by Nancy Kilpatrick
- The Bootleg Heart by Joel Lane
- Saturday by Cherry Wilder
- The Girlfriends of Dorian Gray by Gregory Frost
- Bottle Babies by Mary A. Turzillo
- Going to Series by Kim Newman
- Haunts by Lisa Tuttle
- My Present Wife by Dennis Etchison
- Alicia by Melanie Tem
- The Haunted Bookshop by Brian Stableford
- Starfucker by Mick Garris
- Destroyer of Worlds by Gwyneth Jones
- The Geezers by Peter Straub
- Honeysuckle by William B. Trotter
- Final Departure by Gahan Wilson
- Pelican Cay by David Case
Stephen Jones (born 1953) is an acclaimed editor of numerous award-winning horror anthologies, and the author of several book-length studies of horror and fantasy films as well as an account of Lovecraft's early British publications. Jones has edited anthologies such as the Best New Horror series, Dark Terrors, The Mammoth Book of Vampires, The Mammoth Book of Zombies, The Mammoth Book of Dracula, The Mammoth Book of Frankenstein, The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women, The Vampire Stories of R. Chetwynd-Hayes and The Conan Chronicles, 1 and The Conan Chronicles, 2 by Robert E. Howard. Jones has also been co-editor of several books with Kim Newman, such as Horror: 100 Best Books and Horror: Another 100 Best Books with 200 essays on seminal horror books by acclaimed writers of this genre. Jones also edited Dancing with the Dark, a collection of stories of allegedly real life encounters with the paranormal by established horror writers. Jones has been the recipient of a Hugo award and many Bram Stoker Awards.
Dark Terrors consists of six books. The current recommended reading order for the series is provided below.