The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 8
Edited by Stephen Jones.
The latest annual of the world's premier collection of horror, terror, and dark fantasy again showcases the talents of the finest writers working the field. Along with his annual review of the year in horror, award-winning editor Stephen Jones has chosen the year's best stories by old masters and new voices alike.
- Introduction: Horror in 1996 by Stephen Jones
- Walking the Dog by Terry Lamsley
- Mussolini and the Axeman's Jazz by Poppy Z. Brite
- An Eye for an Eye by Norman Partridge
- Unforgotten by Christopher Fowler
- The Curse of Kali by Cherry Wilder
- The Film by Richard Christian Matheson
- Of a Cat, But Her Skin by Storm Constantine
- Hopscotch by Donald R. Burleson
- Ghost in the Machine by Steve Rasnic Tem
- The Moon Never Changes by Joel Lane
- Butcher's Logic by Roberta Lannes
- Kites and Kisses by D. F. Lewis
- Last Train to Arnos Grove by Marni Griffin
- The King of Rain by Mark Chadbourn
- Hardball by Iain Sinclair
- Gas Station Carnivals by Thomas Ligotti
- Ghost Music: A Memoir by George Beaune by Thomas Tessier
- That Blissful Height by Gregory Frost
- Skin Deep by Nicholas Royle
- Hell Hath Enlarged Herself by Michael Marshall Smith
- Underworld by Douglas Clegg
- A Plague on Both Your Houses by Scott Edelman
- Final Cut by Karl Edward Wagner
- The Break by Terry Lamsley
- Necrology: 1996 (essay) by Kim Newman and Stephen Jones
- Useful Addresses (essay)
Stephen Jones (born 1953) is an acclaimed editor of numerous award-winning horror anthologies, and the author of several book-length studies of horror and fantasy films as well as an account of Lovecraft's early British publications. Jones has edited anthologies such as the Best New Horror series, Dark Terrors, The Mammoth Book of Vampires, The Mammoth Book of Zombies, The Mammoth Book of Dracula, The Mammoth Book of Frankenstein, The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women, The Vampire Stories of R. Chetwynd-Hayes and The Conan Chronicles, 1 and The Conan Chronicles, 2 by Robert E. Howard. Jones has also been co-editor of several books with Kim Newman, such as Horror: 100 Best Books and Horror: Another 100 Best Books with 200 essays on seminal horror books by acclaimed writers of this genre. Jones also edited Dancing with the Dark, a collection of stories of allegedly real life encounters with the paranormal by established horror writers. Jones has been the recipient of a Hugo award and many Bram Stoker Awards.
Best New Horror consists of twenty-six primary works, and includes one additional book that complement the series but is not considered mandatory reads. The current recommended reading order for the series is provided below.