The Mammoth Book of the Best of Best New Horror: A Twenty Year Celebration
Edited by Stephen Jones. With an introduction by Ramsey Campbell.
A Twenty Year Celebration of Best New Horror. For the past two decades the annual Best New Horror series has been the major showcase for superior short stories and novellas of horror and dark fantasy. The World Fantasy Award, British Fantasy Award and International Horror Guild Award-winning series has published more than 450 stories by around 200 of the genre's most famous and acclaimed authors, as well as those newcomers who are just starting out on their careers. To celebrate the anthology's twentieth anniversary, the editor has selected from each volume one story that represents some of horror's biggest names. The Mammoth Book of the Best of Best New Horror is introduced by Ramsey Campbell and includes an indispensible index detailing the entire contents of the series over all twenty volumes.
- EDITOR'S FOREWORD by Stephen Jones
- INTRODUCTION: BETTERING THE BEST by Ramsey Campbell
- 1989: NO SHARKS IN THE MED by Brian Lumley
- 1990: THE MAN WHO DREW CATS by Michael Marshall Smith
- 1991: THE SAME IN ANY LANGUAGE by Ramsey Campbell
- 1992: NORMAN WISDOM AND THE ANGEL OF DEATH by Christopher Fowler
- 1993: MEFISTO IN ONYX by Harlan Ellison
- 1994: THE TEMPTATION OF DR STEIN by Paul J. McAuley
- 1995: QUEEN OF KNIVES by Neil Gaiman
- 1996: THE BREAK by Terry Lamsley
- 1997: EMPTINESS SPOKE ELOQUENT by Caitlín R. Kiernan
- 1998: MR. CLUBB AND MR. CUFF by Peter Straub
- 1999: WHITE by Tim Lebbon
- 2000: THE OTHER SIDE OF MIDNIGHT: ANNO DRACULA, 1981 by Kim Newman
- 2001: CLEOPATRA BRIMSTONE by Elizabeth Hand
- 2002: 20TH CENTURY GHOST by Joe Hill
- 2003: THE WHITE HANDS by Mark Samuels
- 2004: MY DEATH by Lisa Tuttle
- 2005: HAECKEL'S TALE by Clive Barker
- 2006: DEVIL'S SMILE by Glen Hirshberg
- 2007: THE CHURCH ON THE ISLAND by Simon Kurt Unsworth
- 2008: THE NEW YORK TIMES AT SPECIAL BARGAIN RATES by Stephen King
- INDEX TO TWENTY YEARS OF BEST NEW HORROR
- I: Index by Contributor
- II: Index by Title
- III: Contents of Previous Omnibus Editions
Stephen Jones (born 1953) is an acclaimed editor of numerous award-winning horror anthologies, and the author of several book-length studies of horror and fantasy films as well as an account of Lovecraft's early British publications. Jones has edited anthologies such as the Best New Horror series, Dark Terrors, The Mammoth Book of Vampires, The Mammoth Book of Zombies, The Mammoth Book of Dracula, The Mammoth Book of Frankenstein, The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women, The Vampire Stories of R. Chetwynd-Hayes and The Conan Chronicles, 1 and The Conan Chronicles, 2 by Robert E. Howard. Jones has also been co-editor of several books with Kim Newman, such as Horror: 100 Best Books and Horror: Another 100 Best Books with 200 essays on seminal horror books by acclaimed writers of this genre. Jones also edited Dancing with the Dark, a collection of stories of allegedly real life encounters with the paranormal by established horror writers. Jones has been the recipient of a Hugo award and many Bram Stoker Awards.
Best New Horror consists of twenty-six primary books, and includes one additional book that complement the series but is not considered mandatory reads. The current recommended reading order for the series is provided below.