The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 14
Edited by Stephen Jones.
The World Fantasy Award, British Fantasy Award and International Horror Guild Award-winning series. The world's premier annual horror anthology series continues to receive acclaim, winning the 2002 British Fantasy Award for Best Anthology, being nominated for the 2002 World Fantasy Award, and receiving a prestigious starred review in Publishers Weekly. This latest volume of the bumper showcase devoted exclusively to excellence in macabre fiction features the very best short stories and novellas by today's finest exponents of horror fiction. Also containing the most comprehensive overview of the year, lists of useful contact addresses and a fascinating necrology, this is the only book every horror fan needs on their shelf.
- Introduction: Horror in 2002 by Stephen Jones
- October in the Chair by Neil Gaiman
- Details by China Miéville
- The Wretched Thicket of Thorn by Don Tumasonis
- The Absolute Last of the Ultra-Spooky, Super-Scary Hallowe'en Horror Nights by David J. Schow
- Standard Gauge by Nicholas Royle
- Little Dead Girl Singing by Stephen Gallagher
- Nesting Instincts by Brian Hodge
- The Two Sams by Glen Hirshberg
- Hides by Jay Russell
- The Unbeheld by Ramsey Campbell
- Ill Met By Daylight by Basil Copper
- Catskin by Kelly Link
- 20th Century Ghost by Joe Hill
- Egyptian Avenue by Kim Newman
- The Boy Behind the Gate by James Van Pelt
- Nor the Demons Down Under the Sea by Caitlín R. Kiernan
- The Coventry Boy by Graham Joyce
- The Prospect Cards by Don Tumasonis
- The Cage by Jeff VanderMeer
- Dr. Pretorius and the Lost Temple by Paul J. McAuley (as by Paul McAuley)
- Necrology: 2002 (essay) by Stephen Jones and Kim Newman
- Useful Addresses (essay) by Stephen Jones
Stephen Jones (born 1953) is an acclaimed editor of numerous award-winning horror anthologies, and the author of several book-length studies of horror and fantasy films as well as an account of Lovecraft's early British publications. Jones has edited anthologies such as the Best New Horror series, Dark Terrors, The Mammoth Book of Vampires, The Mammoth Book of Zombies, The Mammoth Book of Dracula, The Mammoth Book of Frankenstein, The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women, The Vampire Stories of R. Chetwynd-Hayes and The Conan Chronicles, 1 and The Conan Chronicles, 2 by Robert E. Howard. Jones has also been co-editor of several books with Kim Newman, such as Horror: 100 Best Books and Horror: Another 100 Best Books with 200 essays on seminal horror books by acclaimed writers of this genre. Jones also edited Dancing with the Dark, a collection of stories of allegedly real life encounters with the paranormal by established horror writers. Jones has been the recipient of a Hugo award and many Bram Stoker Awards.
Best New Horror consists of twenty-six primary works, and includes one additional book that complement the series but is not considered mandatory reads. The current recommended reading order for the series is provided below.