Best New Horror 26
Edited by Stephen Jones.
"Heh, Heh! They say you need to get a head in this world, and that poor sap on the cover has five of 'em! Let's just hope that he can hold on to his own... or else he's going to find out pretty soon that life's a scream!!! In this latest edition of the world's longest-running annual showcase of horror and dark fantasy you will find some of the most fearful stories and novellas first published in 2014 by, amongst others, Nathan Ballingrud, Ramsey Campbell, Dennis Etchison, Helen Marshall, Robert Shearman, Angela Slatter, Peter Straub, Simon Strantzas and Stephen Volk, along with an 'orrible overview of the year in horror and a nightmare Necrology of those who have gone on ahead of us. So get a hold of yourself and prepare shriek with pleasure as you are once again plunged into a world of madness and the macabre. Within these pages you will find some of the best horror fiction you will ever read. And don't forget who told you so..."
— The Old Hag
- INTRODUCTION: HORROR IN 2014 - The Editor
- SECONDHAND MAGIC - Helen Marshall
- THE CULVERT - Dale Bailey
- THE PATTER OF TINY FEET - Richard Gavin
- THE FOUR STRENGTHS OF SHADOW - Ron Weighell
- THE NIGHT RUN - Simon Kurt Unsworth
- HOME AND HEARTH - Angela Slatter
- DUST - Rebecca Lloyd
- SUFFER LITTLE CHILDREN - Robert Shearman
- THE NIGHT DOCTOR - Steve Rasnic Tem
- THE DESECRATOR - Derek John
- THE WALK - Dennis Etchison
- DIRT ON VICKY - Clint Smith
- SKULLPOCKET - Nathan Ballingrud
- TESTIMONY OF SAMUEL FROBISHER REGARDING EVENTS UPON HIS MAJESTY'S SHIP CONFIDENCE, 14-22 JUNE 1818, WITH DIAGRAMS - Ian Tregillis
- AT LORN HALL - Ramsey Campbell
- SELFIES - Lavie Tidhar
- MATILDA OF THE NIGHT - Stephen Volk
- THE COLLECTED SHORT STORIES OF FREDDIE PROTHERO, INTRODUCTION BY TORLESS MAGNUSSEN, PH.D. - Peter Straub
- BURNT BLACK SUNS - Simon Strantzas
- NECROLOGY: 2014 - Stephen Jones and Kim Newman
- USEFUL ADDRESSES
Stephen Jones (born 1953) is an acclaimed editor of numerous award-winning horror anthologies, and the author of several book-length studies of horror and fantasy films as well as an account of Lovecraft's early British publications. Jones has edited anthologies such as the Best New Horror series, Dark Terrors, The Mammoth Book of Vampires, The Mammoth Book of Zombies, The Mammoth Book of Dracula, The Mammoth Book of Frankenstein, The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women, The Vampire Stories of R. Chetwynd-Hayes and The Conan Chronicles, 1 and The Conan Chronicles, 2 by Robert E. Howard. Jones has also been co-editor of several books with Kim Newman, such as Horror: 100 Best Books and Horror: Another 100 Best Books with 200 essays on seminal horror books by acclaimed writers of this genre. Jones also edited Dancing with the Dark, a collection of stories of allegedly real life encounters with the paranormal by established horror writers. Jones has been the recipient of a Hugo award and many Bram Stoker Awards.
Best New Horror consists of twenty-six primary works, and includes one additional book that complement the series but is not considered mandatory reads. The current recommended reading order for the series is provided below.