The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 15
Edited by Stephen Jones.
The World Fantasy Award, British Fantasy Award and International Horror Guild Award-winning series. This latest edition of the world's premier annual showcase devoted exclusively to excellence in horror and dark fantasy fiction contains some of the very best short stories and novellas by today's finest exponents of horror fiction. Also featuring the most comprehensive yearly overview of horror around the world, lists of useful contact addresses and a fascinating necrology, this is the only book that should be required reading for every fan of dark fiction.
- Introduction: Horror in 2003 by Stephen Jones
- Fear the Dead by Ramsey Campbell
- The Hanged Man of Oz by Steve Nagy
- Mara by Michael Chislett
- Cell Call by Marc Laidlaw
- In the Tunnels by Pauline E. Dungate
- Hunger: A Confession by Dale Bailey
- Seven Feet by Christopher Fowler
- The Centipede by Susan Davis
- The Goat Cutter by Jay Lake
- Maybe Next Time by Michael Marshall Smith
- Story Time with the Bluefield Strangler by John Farris
- Hunter Lake by Gene Wolfe
- Mr. Sly Stops for a Cup of Joe by Scott Emerson Bull
- The Bereavement Photographer by Steve Rasnic Tem
- Kissing Carrion by Gemma Files
- The White Hands by Mark Samuels
- Waycross by Caitlín R. Kiernan
- Lucy, In Her Splendor by Charles Coleman Finlay
- Dead Boy Found by Christopher Barzak
- The Haunting by Joyce Carol Oates
- Dancing Men by Glen Hirshberg
- Bitter Grounds by Neil Gaiman
- Child of the Stones by Paul J. McAuley (as by Paul McAuley)
- The Silence of the Falling Stars by Mike O'Driscoll
- Exorcizing Angels by Simon Clark and Tim Lebbon
- Necrology: 2003 (essay) by Stephen Jones and Kim Newman
- Useful Addresses(essay) by Stephen Jones
Stephen Jones (born 1953) is an acclaimed editor of numerous award-winning horror anthologies, and the author of several book-length studies of horror and fantasy films as well as an account of Lovecraft's early British publications. Jones has edited anthologies such as the Best New Horror series, Dark Terrors, The Mammoth Book of Vampires, The Mammoth Book of Zombies, The Mammoth Book of Dracula, The Mammoth Book of Frankenstein, The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women, The Vampire Stories of R. Chetwynd-Hayes and The Conan Chronicles, 1 and The Conan Chronicles, 2 by Robert E. Howard. Jones has also been co-editor of several books with Kim Newman, such as Horror: 100 Best Books and Horror: Another 100 Best Books with 200 essays on seminal horror books by acclaimed writers of this genre. Jones also edited Dancing with the Dark, a collection of stories of allegedly real life encounters with the paranormal by established horror writers. Jones has been the recipient of a Hugo award and many Bram Stoker Awards.
Best New Horror consists of twenty-six primary works, and includes one additional book that complement the series but is not considered mandatory reads. The current recommended reading order for the series is provided below.