The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 13
Bram Stoker Award nominee 2002.
Edited by Stephen Jones.
The multiple award-winning Best New Horror series reaches volume 13 — lucky for fans of contemporary dark fantasy and the supernatural. To mark the event, this latest edition of the world's premier annual showcase devoted exclusively to excellence in macabre fiction includes only the very best short stories and novellas by today's finest exponents of horror fiction. Also featured are the most comprehensive yearly overview of horror publishing, lists of useful contact addresses for aspiring writers and fans, and a fascinating necrology. This really is the only book all lovers of the supernatural and psychological terror will want on their shelves.
- Introduction: Horror in 2001 by Stephen Jones
- Mark of the Beast by Chico Kidd
- Crocodile Lady by Christopher Fowler
- All for Sale by Ramsey Campbell
- The Two Dicks by Paul J. McAuley (as by Paul McAuley)
- By Her Hand, She Draws You Down by Douglas Smith
- O' Death, Where Is Thy Spatula? by Poppy Z. Brite
- Got to Kill Them All by Dennis Etchison
- No More A-Roving by Lynda E. Rucker
- First, Catch Your Demon by Graham Joyce
- Pump Jack by Donald Burleson
- Outfangthief by Gala Blau
- The Lost District by Joel Lane
- Simeon Dimsby's Workshop by Richard A. Lupoff
- Our Temporary Supervisor by Thomas Ligotti
- Whose Ghosts These Are by Charles L. Grant
- Shite-Hawks by Muriel Gray
- Off the Map by Michael Chislett
- Most of My Friends Are Two-Thirds Water by Kelly Link
- City in Aspic by Conrad Williams
- Where All Things Perish by Tanith Lee
- Struwwelpeter by Glen Hirshberg
- Cleopatra Brimstone by Elizabeth Hand
- Cats and Architecture by Chico Kidd
- Necrology: 2001 (essay) by Stephen Jones and Kim Newman
- Useful Addresses (essay)
Stephen Jones (born 1953) is an acclaimed editor of numerous award-winning horror anthologies, and the author of several book-length studies of horror and fantasy films as well as an account of Lovecraft's early British publications. Jones has edited anthologies such as the Best New Horror series, Dark Terrors, The Mammoth Book of Vampires, The Mammoth Book of Zombies, The Mammoth Book of Dracula, The Mammoth Book of Frankenstein, The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women, The Vampire Stories of R. Chetwynd-Hayes and The Conan Chronicles, 1 and The Conan Chronicles, 2 by Robert E. Howard. Jones has also been co-editor of several books with Kim Newman, such as Horror: 100 Best Books and Horror: Another 100 Best Books with 200 essays on seminal horror books by acclaimed writers of this genre. Jones also edited Dancing with the Dark, a collection of stories of allegedly real life encounters with the paranormal by established horror writers. Jones has been the recipient of a Hugo award and many Bram Stoker Awards.
Best New Horror consists of twenty-six primary works, and includes one additional book that complement the series but is not considered mandatory reads. The current recommended reading order for the series is provided below.