The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 12
British Fantasy Award winner 2002, World Fantasy Award nominee 2002.
Edited by Stephen Jones.
The acclaimed collection of contemporary horror fiction, this year's Best New Horror again showcases the talents of the finest writers working the field of terror. Sifting through the year in horror, award-winning editor Stephen Jones has chosen the year's best stories by the old masters and new voices alike. The latest volume of the Best New Horror series features stories by Ramsey Campbell, Dennis Etchison, Tim Lebbon, Kim Newman, and horror movie director Mick Garrick (adapter of the upcoming film of Stephen King's Desperation), among many writers. As a bonus, there is Jones's always-informative overview of the year in horror, making this a truly state-of-the-dark-art annual.
- Introduction: Horror in 2000 by Stephen Jones
- Castle in the Desert by Kim Newman
- The Keeper of the Rothenstein Tomb by Iain Sinclair
- Forever Gramma by Mick Garris
- At Home in the Pubs of Old London by Christopher Fowler
- In the Water Works (Birmingham, Alabama 1888) by Caitlín R. Kiernan
- Bone Orchards by Paul J. McAuley
- No Strings by Ramsey Campbell
- The Grotto by Kathryn Ptacek
- Merry Roderick by Geoffrey Warburton
- Climbing Down from Heaven by Terry Lamsley
- Empty Stations by Nicholas Royle
- Flesh of Leaves, Bones of Desire by Charlee Jacob
- The Repulsion by Tim Lebbon
- The Detailer by Dennis Etchison
- Coming Home by Mark Morris
- The Hunger of the Leaves by Joel Lane
- Xenos Beach by Graham Joyce
- At Eventide by Kathe Koja
- Pareidolia by Steve Rasnic Tem
- I Have a Special Plan for This World by Thomas Ligotti
- The Handover by Michael Marshall Smith
- The Other Side of Midnight by Kim Newman
- Necrology: 2000 (essay) by Stephen Jones and Kim Newman
Stephen Jones (born 1953) is an acclaimed editor of numerous award-winning horror anthologies, and the author of several book-length studies of horror and fantasy films as well as an account of Lovecraft's early British publications. Jones has edited anthologies such as the Best New Horror series, Dark Terrors, The Mammoth Book of Vampires, The Mammoth Book of Zombies, The Mammoth Book of Dracula, The Mammoth Book of Frankenstein, The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women, The Vampire Stories of R. Chetwynd-Hayes and The Conan Chronicles, 1 and The Conan Chronicles, 2 by Robert E. Howard. Jones has also been co-editor of several books with Kim Newman, such as Horror: 100 Best Books and Horror: Another 100 Best Books with 200 essays on seminal horror books by acclaimed writers of this genre. Jones also edited Dancing with the Dark, a collection of stories of allegedly real life encounters with the paranormal by established horror writers. Jones has been the recipient of a Hugo award and many Bram Stoker Awards.
Best New Horror consists of twenty-six primary works, and includes one additional book that complement the series but is not considered mandatory reads. The current recommended reading order for the series is provided below.