The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 16
Edited by Stephen Jones.
The World Fantasy Award, British Fantasy Award and International Horror Guild Award-winning series. This new volume of the world's premier horror anthology series once again features the very best short stories and novellas by today's finest writers. Also containing the most comprehensive overview of the year in horror around the world, lists of useful contact addresses and a fascinating necrology, this is the only annual anthology every horror fan needs on their shelf.
- Introduction: Horror in 2004 by Stephen Jones
- Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Nameless House of the Night of Dread Desire by Neil Gaiman
- Lilies by Iain Rowan
- Breaking Up by Ramsey Campbell
- "The King", in: Yellow by Brian Keene
- A Trick of the Dark by Tina Rath
- The Mutable Borders of Love by Leslie What
- Flour White and Spindle Thin by L. H. Maynard and M. P. N. Sims
- Tighter by Christa Faust
- Restraint by Stephen Gallagher
- Israbel by Tanith Lee
- The Growlimb by Michael Shea
- This Is Now by Michael Marshall Smith
- Remnants by Tim Lebbon
- Safety Clowns by Glen Hirshberg
- The Devil of Delery Street by Poppy Z. Brite
- Apocalypse Now, Voyager by Jay Russell
- Stone Animals by Kelly Link
- Soho Golem by Kim Newman
- Spells for Halloween: An Acrostic by Dale Bailey
- My Death by Lisa Tuttle
- The Problem of Susan by Neil Gaiman
- Necrology: 2004 (essay) by Stephen Jones and Kim Newman
- Useful Addresses (essay) by Stephen Jones
Stephen Jones (born 1953) is an acclaimed editor of numerous award-winning horror anthologies, and the author of several book-length studies of horror and fantasy films as well as an account of Lovecraft's early British publications. Jones has edited anthologies such as the Best New Horror series, Dark Terrors, The Mammoth Book of Vampires, The Mammoth Book of Zombies, The Mammoth Book of Dracula, The Mammoth Book of Frankenstein, The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women, The Vampire Stories of R. Chetwynd-Hayes and The Conan Chronicles, 1 and The Conan Chronicles, 2 by Robert E. Howard. Jones has also been co-editor of several books with Kim Newman, such as Horror: 100 Best Books and Horror: Another 100 Best Books with 200 essays on seminal horror books by acclaimed writers of this genre. Jones also edited Dancing with the Dark, a collection of stories of allegedly real life encounters with the paranormal by established horror writers. Jones has been the recipient of a Hugo award and many Bram Stoker Awards.
Best New Horror consists of twenty-six primary works, and includes one additional book that complement the series but is not considered mandatory reads. The current recommended reading order for the series is provided below.