The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 17
Edited by Stephen Jones.
The World Fantasy Award, British Fantasy Award and International Horror Guild Award-winning series. As usual, this latest volume of the world's premier Year's Best horror anthology series features a selection of the finest short stories and novellas by some of the most exciting and important writers working in the dark fantasy genre today. Also containing the most comprehensive overview of the year in horror around the world, an extraordinary necrology, and lists of useful contact addresses for dedicated readers and would-be writers alike, this is the only annual anthology that every fan of horror fiction needs to have.
- Introduction: Horror in 2005 by Stephen Jones
- The Decorations by Ramsey Campbell
- Black and Green and Gold by David Herter
- I Live with You and You Don't Know It by Carol Emshwiller
- The Cubist's Attorney by Peter Atkins
- All Fish and Dracula by Liz Williams
- The Ball Room by China Miéville, Emma Bircham and Max Schaefer
- Gulls by Tim Pratt
- Pinkie by Elizabeth Massie
- Glyphotech by Mark Samuels
- One of the Hungry Ones by Holly Phillips
- If I Should Wake Before I Die by Brian Hodge
- The Other Family by Roberta Lannes
- The Outermost Borough by Gahan Wilson
- American Morons by Glen Hirshberg
- Where Angels Come In by Adam L. G. Nevill
- Sickhouse Hospitality by Terry Lamsley
- Best New Horror by Joe Hill
- La Peau Verte by Caitlín R. Kiernan
- Time Was by David Morrell
- Haeckel's Tale by Clive Barker
- The Taint by Brian Lumley
- The Winner by Ramsey Campbell
- Necrology: 2005 (essay) by Stephen Jones and Kim Newman
- Useful Addresses (essay)
Stephen Jones (born 1953) is an acclaimed editor of numerous award-winning horror anthologies, and the author of several book-length studies of horror and fantasy films as well as an account of Lovecraft's early British publications. Jones has edited anthologies such as the Best New Horror series, Dark Terrors, The Mammoth Book of Vampires, The Mammoth Book of Zombies, The Mammoth Book of Dracula, The Mammoth Book of Frankenstein, The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women, The Vampire Stories of R. Chetwynd-Hayes and The Conan Chronicles, 1 and The Conan Chronicles, 2 by Robert E. Howard. Jones has also been co-editor of several books with Kim Newman, such as Horror: 100 Best Books and Horror: Another 100 Best Books with 200 essays on seminal horror books by acclaimed writers of this genre. Jones also edited Dancing with the Dark, a collection of stories of allegedly real life encounters with the paranormal by established horror writers. Jones has been the recipient of a Hugo award and many Bram Stoker Awards.
Best New Horror consists of twenty-six primary works, and includes one additional book that complement the series but is not considered mandatory reads. The current recommended reading order for the series is provided below.