The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 18
Edited by Stephen Jones.
The World Fantasy Award, British Fantasy Award and International Horror Guild Award-winning series. This latest edition of the world's longest established Year's Best Horror anthology series once again features a superior selection of the most impressive stories and novellas by some of the most acclaimed and exciting writers working in the genre today. Also containing the most comprehensive overview of the year in horror in all its various incarnations, an impressively researched necrology, and a list of indispensable contact addresses for the dedicated reader and budding writer alike, The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror continues to remain the world's premier annual anthology of contemporary horror fiction.
- Introduction: Horror in 2006 by Stephen Jones
- Summer by Al Sarrantonio
- Digging Deep by Ramsey Campbell
- The Night Watch by John Gordon
- The Luxury of Harm by Christopher Fowler
- Sentinels by Mark Samuels
- The Saffron Gatherers by Elizabeth Hand
- What Nature Abhors by Mark Morris
- The Last Reel by Lynda E. Rucker
- The American Dead by Jay Lake
- Between the Cold Moon and the Earth by Peter Atkins
- Sob in the Silence by Gene Wolfe
- Continuity Error by Nicholas Royle
- Dr. Prida's Dream-Plagued Patient by Michael Bishop
- The Ones We Leave Behind by Mark Chadbourn
- Mine by Joel Lane
- Obsequy by David J. Schow
- Thrown by Don Tumasonis
- Houses Under the Sea by Caitlín R. Kiernan
- They by David Morrell
- The Clockwork Horror by F. Gwynplaine MacIntyre
- Making Cabinets by Richard Christian Matheson
- Pol Pot’s Beautiful Daughter (Fantasy) by Geoff Ryman
- Devil's Smile by Glen Hirshberg
- The Man Who Got Off the Ghost Train by Kim Newman
- Necrology: 2006 (essay) by Kim Newman and Stephen Jones
- Useful Addresses (essay) by Stephen Jones
Stephen Jones (born 1953) is an acclaimed editor of numerous award-winning horror anthologies, and the author of several book-length studies of horror and fantasy films as well as an account of Lovecraft's early British publications. Jones has edited anthologies such as the Best New Horror series, Dark Terrors, The Mammoth Book of Vampires, The Mammoth Book of Zombies, The Mammoth Book of Dracula, The Mammoth Book of Frankenstein, The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women, The Vampire Stories of R. Chetwynd-Hayes and The Conan Chronicles, 1 and The Conan Chronicles, 2 by Robert E. Howard. Jones has also been co-editor of several books with Kim Newman, such as Horror: 100 Best Books and Horror: Another 100 Best Books with 200 essays on seminal horror books by acclaimed writers of this genre. Jones also edited Dancing with the Dark, a collection of stories of allegedly real life encounters with the paranormal by established horror writers. Jones has been the recipient of a Hugo award and many Bram Stoker Awards.
Best New Horror consists of twenty-six primary works, and includes one additional book that complement the series but is not considered mandatory reads. The current recommended reading order for the series is provided below.