The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 22
Edited by Stephen Jones.
The year's best, and darkest, tales of terror, showcasing the most outstanding new short stories and novellas by both contemporary masters of the macabre and exciting newcomers. As ever, this acclaimed anthology also offers the most comprehensive annual overview of horror around the world in all its incarnations; a comprehensive necrology of famous names; and a list of indispensable contact addresses for the dedicated horror fan and writer alike. The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror remains the world's leading annual anthology dedicated solely to presenting the best in contemporary horror fiction.
- A Revelation of Cormorants by Mark Valentine
- As Red as Red by Caitlín R. Kiernan
- Autumn Chill (poem) by Richard L. Tierney
- Black Country by Joel Lane
- Christmas with the Dead by Joe R. Lansdale
- City of the Dog by John Langan
- Fallen Boys by Mark Morris
- Featherweight by Robert Shearman
- Fort Clay, Louisiana: A Tragical History by Albert E. Cowdrey
- Just Outside Our Windows, Deep Inside Our Walls by Brian Hodge
- Lavender and Lychgates by Angela Slatter
- Lesser Demons by Norman Partridge
- Losenef Express by Mark Samuels
- Oh I Do Like to Be Beside the Seaside by Christopher Fowler
- Out Back by Garry Kilworth
- Substitutions by Michael Marshall Smith
- Telling by Steve Rasnic Tem
- The Lemon in the Pool by Simon Kurt Unsworth
- The Pier by Thana Niveau
- We All Fall Down by Kirstyn McDermott
- What Will Come After by Scott Edelman
- When the Zombies Win by Karina Sumner-Smith
- With the Angels by Ramsey Campbell
Stephen Jones (born 1953) is an acclaimed editor of numerous award-winning horror anthologies, and the author of several book-length studies of horror and fantasy films as well as an account of Lovecraft's early British publications. Jones has edited anthologies such as the Best New Horror series, Dark Terrors, The Mammoth Book of Vampires, The Mammoth Book of Zombies, The Mammoth Book of Dracula, The Mammoth Book of Frankenstein, The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women, The Vampire Stories of R. Chetwynd-Hayes and The Conan Chronicles, 1 and The Conan Chronicles, 2 by Robert E. Howard. Jones has also been co-editor of several books with Kim Newman, such as Horror: 100 Best Books and Horror: Another 100 Best Books with 200 essays on seminal horror books by acclaimed writers of this genre. Jones also edited Dancing with the Dark, a collection of stories of allegedly real life encounters with the paranormal by established horror writers. Jones has been the recipient of a Hugo award and many Bram Stoker Awards.
Best New Horror consists of twenty-six primary works, and includes one additional book that complement the series but is not considered mandatory reads. The current recommended reading order for the series is provided below.