Dark Detectives: Adventures of the Supernatural Sleuths
World Fantasy Award nominee 2000.
Edited by Stephen Jones. Illustrated by Randy Broecker.
Psychic Detectives, Phantom Fighters, Ghostbusters. These are the Supernatural Sleuths, and down through the centuries they have investigated the bizarre and the horrific while protecting the world from the forces of darkness and evil. Now collected here for the first time are some of the greatest fictional detectives (and their faithful assistants) who have ever confronted the supernatural: Clive Barker's Harry D'Amour, R. Chetwynd-Hayes' Francis St. Clare, Basil Copper's Solar Pons, Neil Gaiman's Lawrence Talbot, William Hope Hodgson's Carnacki, Brian Lumley's Titus Crow, Brian Mooney's Reuben Calloway, Jay Russell's Marty Burns, Peter Tremayne's Sister Fidelma, Manly Wade Wellman's John Thunstone, plus Kim Newman's new multi-part novel Seven Stars, in which Charles Beauregard, Edwin Winthrop, Richard Jeperson, Sally Rhodes, Dr. Shade, the vampiric Geneviève Dieudonné and many others over the decades challenge the influence of an alien weirdstone that has the power to annihilate mankind. In the battle between Good and Evil, these investigators of the unusual solve ancient mysteries and unravel modern hauntings with the aid of their unique powers of deduction and the occasional silver bullet...
- INTRODUCTION: THE SERIAL SLEUTHS by Stephen Jones
- SEVEN STARS PROLOGUE: IN EGYPT'S LAND by Kim Newman
- SISTER FIDELMA: OUR LADY OF DEATH by Peter Tremayne
- CHARLES BEAUREGARD: SEVEN STARS EPISODE ONE: THE MUMMY'S HEART by Kim Newman
- CARNACKI: THE HORSE OF THE INVISIBLE by William Hope Hodgson
- EDWIN WINTHROP AND CATRIONA KAYE: SEVEN STARS EPISODE TWO: THE MAGICIAN AND THE MATINEE IDOL by Kim Newman
- SOLAR PONS: THE ADVENTURE OF THE CRAWLING HORROR by Basil Copper
- THE GUMSHOE: SEVEN STARS EPISODE THREE: THE TROUBLE WITH BARRYMORE by Kim Newman
- JOHN THUNSTONE: ROUSE HIM NOT by Manly Wade Wellman
- TITUS CROW: DE MARIGNY'S CLOCK by Brian Lumley
- RICHARD JEPERSON: SEVEN STARS EPISODE FOUR: THE BIAFRAN BANK MANAGER by Kim Newman
- FRANCIS ST. CLARE AND FREDERICA MASTERS: SOMEONE IS DEAD by R. Chetwynd-Hayes
- RUBEN CALLOWAY AND RODERICK SHEA: VULTURES GATHER by Brian Mooney
- HARRY D'AMOUR: LOST SOULS by Clive Barker
- SALLY RHODES: SEVEN STARS EPISODE FIVE: MIMSY by Kim Newman
- MARTY BURNS: THE MAN WHO SHOT THE MAN WHO SHOT THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALENCE by Jay Russell
- JEROME RHODES: SEVEN STARS EPISODE SIX: THE DOG STORY by Kim Newman
- LAWRENCE TALBOT: BAY WOLF by Neil Gaiman
- GENEVIÈVE DIEUDONNÉ: SEVEN STARS EPISODE SEVEN: THE DUEL OF THE SEVEN STARS by Kim Newman
Stephen Jones (born 1953) is an acclaimed editor of numerous award-winning horror anthologies, and the author of several book-length studies of horror and fantasy films as well as an account of Lovecraft's early British publications. Jones has edited anthologies such as the Best New Horror series, Dark Terrors, The Mammoth Book of Vampires, The Mammoth Book of Zombies, The Mammoth Book of Dracula, The Mammoth Book of Frankenstein, The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women, The Vampire Stories of R. Chetwynd-Hayes and The Conan Chronicles, 1 and The Conan Chronicles, 2 by Robert E. Howard. Jones has also been co-editor of several books with Kim Newman, such as Horror: 100 Best Books and Horror: Another 100 Best Books with 200 essays on seminal horror books by acclaimed writers of this genre. Jones also edited Dancing with the Dark, a collection of stories of allegedly real life encounters with the paranormal by established horror writers. Jones has been the recipient of a Hugo award and many Bram Stoker Awards.